Drawings for the house

djsim

Hi guys,

I would like to ask 3 quick questions that I hope ye can answer:

1) I am due to sign the contracts and pay the balance of 10% this week. I want to know is now a good time to ask for the drawings of the house? Do I contact the builder directly or the estate agnate?

2) I want to put down the wood flooring downstairs in the house before we move in. The house is 2 months away from being built. Is it possible to ask the builder to “drop” the floor slightly to facilitate the wood flooring? Otherwise the doors will have to be shaved?

3) Is now a good time to ask the builder\electrician to put a few extra electrical points in the house and give them a few quid for there hassle. Is that the way it works?

Thank you again for your help, please excuse the questions if they seem silly but I am a FTB and so new to this game.

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes, I would think that was reasonable. By rights the EA should provide them to you, but you could ask the builder too.

2) Yes, you should certainly flag this now. The builder won't 'drop' the floors, he'll have the carpenters fit doors and skirting boards, etc. an inch or so higher.

3) Again, yes, it should be far cheaper (and a better job) than adding them later. Just ask the builder to quote you.

djsim said:
1) Is now a good time to ask for the drawings of the house? Do I contact the builder directly or the estate agnate?

The estate agent sent me drawings upon request when we had paid our booking deposit, but before we had signed contracts and paid the 10% deposit. We received another set of plans with the contracts from the solicitor.

djsim said:
2) I want to put down the wood flooring downstairs in the house before we move in.

Tell the builder you will be putting in wooden floors and he will leave the skirting boards just tacked in place so that your floor fitter can put them above the floorboards. The floor fitter will handle shaving the doors if required.

djsim said:
3) Is now a good time to ask the builder\electrician to put a few extra electrical points in the house and give them a few quid for there hassle. Is that the way it works?

Yes, but it's generally more formal than this. You request a quote from the builder for your extras.. he gets back to you and you sign it, agreeing to pay the extra. He does the work and you pay before closing.

any extras you want/need you should organise now, also make sure that you know exactly what you're getting, We thought we were getting plastered/skimmed walls but only got plaster board and taping of joints, also wanted solid wood doors but they are hollow, make sure all request and know and in writing before signing the contract, you should discuss them with the builder prior to paying deposit to ensure he will sort them for you. Getting ok from auctioneer is no good.

Back