Dormant Stockbroker Account - Banking Shares

Bridget101

I purchased a small number of banking shares back in 2008 using an AIB online share dealing account. I had bought approximately €1,000 worth at the time and I thought I had lost all shares when the banks shares were devalued (in number and quantity) after the economic crash. I just realised that my AIB online share dealing account transferred to Goodbody in approximately 2015 and I currently have a grand total of 3 BOI and 3 AIB shares which I did not know about. The current value is not worth mentioning (a pathetic €24!) but Goodbody seem to be charging me an annual fee each year and now seem to be looking for fees totaling approximately €400? I didn't realise that I was being charged each year for a dormant account holding immaterial shares which I thought were lost when the government took over the banks. Can anyone provide advice as to how best to resolve the issue with Goodbody -in particular is there any chance they might waive the fee so I can close the account and avoid further costs being charged without my knowledge? If anyone else has a similar experience I would really appreciate the guidance?

Back