Dolphin's Barn

simp

We're looking at a place in Dolphin's Barn - at the Coombe end of Donore Avenue, near St. Teresa's Gardens. Does anyone have any thoughts about this part of the city? I know that the flats there have had a bad reputation, but have things improved?

Thanks in advance.

I was born and breed around the corner from St Theresa's Gardens, could actually see the flats from our back windows, only moved away from there a year ago. Which road are you looking at buying in as each part is different.

Is Darley Terrace the one attaching to the back of the houses which are on Donore Avenue where the cobblestones are. You get to it by the side of the flats where the railing are on Donore Avenue?

Yes - I think that's the one you mean.
It's the terrace facing onto Eugene Street and Maxwell Street.
Map link:- [broken link removed]

You practically beside the flats then, ok in a way as they tend not to dirty on their own doorstep so to speak. The area has much imporved over the past years, back in the 70's and 80's it was a bit of a nightmare living so close to the flats. We actually had window guards up for 12 years as we were constantly getting our windows broken. Not had any trouble for a long time but there are plenty of gangs of lads hanging around and they blantly break into cars during the day practically in front of you. Tends to be quite seasonal though, Christmas, Easter, Summer Holidays. You just really have to be aware of the area and make sure that you have nothing on show in your car as it will be broken into, without a doubt, but this is not too unusual in Dublin City as a whole. Most of the people around the area are really nice.

There are even some people who live in the flats park their cars elsewhere. I lived in Hamilton Street, where the backs of the houses open up on Donore Avenue, opposite the Church. Parking was a nightmare, but I found out that many of the cars at the end of the Street were actually belonging to people living in the flats. They are basically opportunists, and if you give them the opportunity they will take it but you are living in the city centre and it comes with the territory. But it is definately not nearly as bad as it was years ago.

Very handy for bus routes where you are considering, you have all the 50's. 56's, and 77's on Cork Street and the 19 and 22 on South Circular Road. No idea what the parking is like now where you are considering but that part is very quite for traffic as you really have to know the area to take this as a shortcut. I would suggest that you drive around the area in the evening and also on a Saturday afternoon, tends to be quite on a Sunday. There are many kids also in that part. Hope some of this helps, as I said I was brought up around that area so I know what to expect but for folks who say lived in a quite country town, they would get quite a shock moving there.

Thanks very much for that - it's pretty much as I guessed.
I've been living in the north inner city for the past five years, so I know the score..! And I don't drive (yet!), so I don't have to worry about that aspect of things. So I think we might go for it...

Best of luck, as you are pretty used to city centre living I don't think you will have too many problems. PS - don't shop at the general store under the flats, it is so expensive and often the products are close to their sell by date, milk, bread etc, you're not allowed pick your product, they hand it to you. The chemist is one of the best I have ever come across, run by Mrs Moore, she is sooooo nice, she has been there for over 30 years and her daughter runs a chiropody room in the back, she is really nice too.

Hi, I lived very close to this area for a year, I also have some houses rented in the area. I would be very careful etc, my tenants have been burgled 6 times in 2 years causing a lot of hassle. The flats you are talking about had an unemployment rate of 40+ in the early 90's the place was over run with drugs, not sure what it's at today ? To get a feel for the place I recommend you walk around it between the hours of 12 - 3 am on a Friday and Saturday night.
Hope this is not too negative.

Thanks for that opinion. We'll have a look around there tonight.
I'm hoping that things have changed, and will continue to improve...
But you never know...

There is a very significant regeration planned over the next 15 - 20 years around that area. I recently attended a public session by the urban architects, Thompson & ( and can't remember the rest of the name) , who were putting a plan together for Dublin city Council, with input from locals.

The redevelopment site will go from Cork Street, through Coombe hospital, includes the Baily Gibson site & the huge but largely unused playing fields that are hidden from view. These will become a new park.

I have no idea when the plan will be finalised or when the digging start but it is for some interesting times over a long time frame.

Would suggest you ccontact DCC for fuller details.

Back