Does my mum need to make a will?

Snipersham

Hi All,

My mum is now 80 years of age and I was wondering if she needs to make a will (she has never mentioned it). My Dad (her husband died a number of years ago) and I am her only child and she never remarried.

I'm am not sure about probate ect as I am her only next of kin will everything automatically be left to me?

thanks in advance

Tim

Making a will makes everything much easier and faster to deal with. I would advise that she makes one.

Your mum may have made a will but could have left everything to anyone she wishes. There's no guarantee you have got anything if she's made a will.

If a widow with only one child dies without a will, that child will inherit the entire estate. However consulting a solicitor can sometimes result in good taxplnning. Whether this is necessary depends on the value of your mother's assets and also what if any prior gifts or inheritance you may have received. So for the sake of the price of a will, probably omewhere between 100 to 200 euro for a standard will, it is usually worth getting advice.

Back