Does House Guest paying bills acquire any rights?

Quirkulous

Hi all,

We have a tenant in the property who has a boyfriend looking to spend about 3 nights a week in the house as it is near to his part time job. He is offering money each week towards bills in return for this. I am just wondering if this creates any legal issues with regard to him potentially being able to claim he is a tenant? Would he be considered a tenant with rights though he is not named on the lease and is contributing towards utilities used as a guest in the house?

I'm a wee bit confused - are you a tenant in this property or the owner/landlord?

If you are the landlord why are the bills not in the tenants name?

I'm a wee bit confused - are you a tenant in this property or the owner/landlord?

If you are the landlord why are the bills not in the tenants name?
I’m a tenant in the house as well. Bills are all under my name. Our landlord is unfortunately very casual and has let the matter up to us. I’m just worried that such a casual arrangement could turn into something more and if there is a way to prevent increase if days and earning full tenants rights as I and the other housemate would not be keen to have that happen.

One possibility might be to ask the tenant whose boyfriend he is to contribute more towards bills. That way, it would be the tenant, rather than her squeeze, who - to the best of your knowledge - was making the extra payments. Where she was getting the extra cash from wouldn't be your concern.

If the boyfriend is there with permission maybe he is considered a licensee which means after six months he can ask to become a tenant, doesnt say he has to be there 7 days a week or how much he contributes. Maybe someone has to pay rent to be classed as a licensee??

Back