Does anyone use their Sky HD or Q Box abroad?

lyonsie

I am wondering if anyone uses their Sky box's abroad, and what kind of reception they get?

Using Sky abroad is a violation of their Ts & Cs. However, I understand that lots of people do it. The Astra satellite signal becomes more oblique as you go further south, so I believe a one metre dish is required below a certain latitude, instead of the mini dish used here. Don't have the details but I'm sure they can be Googled. The UK Freesat channels can no longer be received much beyond the UK due to being moved to a narrow spotbeam on the Astra constellation, but as far as I know Sky is still available.

Last edited:
My parents do, and have done so for years. The dish is certainly larger. My own view is that Sky know well that this goes on, and are happy to make money from it despite their stated policy.

Sky have to be seen to take some action due to demands from rights owners.

My friends use their Sky+HD box over in france and I am wondering if anyone has used the new SkyQ box? They loose a lot of the record and look at a different programme functions, but its handy for programmes you like to watch etc at home. The new Q is great, I have it, and am wondering would it work as well as the Sky+HD box as we dont have wifi in france. Neither do my friends...

Even in Ireland you cannot get any of the ITV and 4 channels, instead they give you the Irish channel

Back