Do you need a full licence to get insurance on a 2000cc car?

blueshoes

Hi,

A friend of mine is thinking about buying a 2litre gti peugeot 206 (i think it is) but another friend of mine told her that she might not get insurance as she only has a prov licience. she is driving about 9months. anyone any ideas? Or anyone know of any companies that would insure her? she is with quinn direct at the min.

Re: Do you need full licience?

Quinn Direct probably won't quote for an engine that size for such an inexperienced driver. I'm not sure what the position of other insurers is.

XS Direct may be an option, but beware the terms and conditions.

That's a pretty fast car (but very light) for a learner driver with very little experience. If I were an underwriter (dependant on the age of the driver) I would be inclined to say absolutely no. I know that while a lot of comprehensive policies would allow the insured to drive other cars with the owners consent this is revoked in the case of cars of 2000cc or more. Stick on a set of "jazzy plates" and you're asking for trouble...

Please keep this on topic and no inflammatory posts please.

hi ccovich and carpenter,

I have just been taliking to her and she has rung quinn direct and they told her it would be an extra €25 per month on top of €165 and that she needed a full licience.
I will tell her about XS direct, ive never heard of them before. She is a good driver, no accidents, she just want a bit more powerful car. she has a 1.1, but saw this one at a bargain price (god knows whats wrong with it!!)

Thanks again, and carpenter am I ever going to live the number plates down? I still havent took them of!!

I wouldn't have expected Quinn Direct to insure her even on a full licence, but there you go.

I would be inclined to get the full licence before buying a car with a bigger engine, is the extra cost of insurance really worth it?

blueshoes said:
Thanks again, and carpenter am I ever going to live the number plates down? I still havent took them of!!

Probably not! Sorry CCOVICH:D

There are plenty of cheap big engined cars around for the very reasons you have touched upon- they are expensive to insure, especially for younger, inexperienced drivers. That coupled with punitive road tax and lower fuel economy will mean that cars of 2000CC or more will always depreciate rapidly.

Re: Do you need full licence?

123.ie won't quote for that under their normal policies, but their performance policy should cover it for €1390 with a €2000 excess for female drivers over 25 with a provisional licence! If she's over 31 the excess drops to €1000.
Leo

yeah I never thought of the tax i must look it up for my friend. she is a bit dim when it comes to things like this! She just seen the car and thought yeah great price,its gti(what ever that means), and it looks good. Shes not thinking of the practical side.

From what I have seen when last looking for a car, cars with bigger engines actually seem like better value than those with smaller engines, possibly due to the fact that they are expensive to run (road tax, fuel, insurance) or impossible to insure.

I have an Alfa 147 1.6 and am delighted with it's power. I think a jump from 1100 to 2000cc is a bit excessive, look at a 1.6 (not necessarily an Alfa, there are plenty of other options out there), it should have enough 'poke'.

blueshoes said:
yeah I never thought of the tax i must look it up for my friend. she is a bit dim when it comes to things like this! She just seen the car and thought yeah great price,its gti(what ever that means), and it looks good. Shes not thinking of the practical side.

If she's going for the 206 because of the looks but finds the 1.1 underpowered there is also a 1.4 manual and 1.6 automatic versions she could try.

hi,

i think she has gone of the idea now and is looking at a 1.4. although there seems to be very few around all 1.1
also earlier sorry i got it wrong what quinn direct told her it was to be a fully licience holder and over the age of 25. not an extra €25 as i said earlier. my friend and I got our wires crossed. Have to admit I saw the car this evening and it is fab!!

blueshoes said:
hi,

i think she has gone of the idea now and is looking at a 1.4. although there seems to be very few around all 1.1
also earlier sorry i got it wrong what quinn direct told her it was to be a fully licience holder and over the age of 25. not an extra €25 as i said earlier. my friend and I got our wires crossed. Have to admit I saw the car this evening and it is fab!!

sounds more like it, 206 GTI is a small car with big engine, would be an expensive car for anyone to insure.

Oh my god!

now she wants to get a 206 cc, does anyone know if they come in 1.4 or is it just 1.6? I have looked on carzone but cant find anything. She is loopers theres nothing wrong with her own car, just recently serviced and nct'd last week.

Re: Do you need a full licence to get insuranace on a 2000cc car?

206cc comes in a 1.6 and 2.0
The car needs the extra power due to the weight of the folding roof. Personally - given the French record with auto electrics I would not be lining up to get myself a peugeot with a fancy electric roof.

However from the earlier posts, I suspect your friend is going to make a choice on what the car looks like and any other advice is not going to come into it - so I reckon leave her off to do whatever.

Back