Do you lose your eircom email if you change to Sky broadband?

gm88

We currently have broadband with eircom, but if we switch to the Sky broadband package with calls and line rental, do we lose our eircom email addresses?

No - your service provider has nothing to do with your personal email addresses.

Not sure about that. As it's an eircom address, how would the OP access their servers after moving to a different provider?

Addresses like gmail, yahoo, hotmail would not be affected by the switch in providers.

Thanks guys, we were hoping to still be able to access the emails through the eircom website, and logging into the webmail there. I guess they will block us if we change.

you wont loose your eircom email address. But if you use Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail you will need to change your settings slightly

You cannot use eircoms outgoing server as it is out of bounds to non customers.

You cannot use eircoms outgoing server as it is out of bounds to non customers.

Correct. So you need to change your outgoing mail server to the server of your new broadband provider. but you still use your Eircom.net email address.
You dont change your incoming mail server though - that stays the same (webmail.eircom.net as far as I remember)

I have had an eircom email for years and I am not with eircom. I use mail2web.com to access it

You can use Outlook or Outlook express for your eircom.net mail if you are not an eircom customer. As JohnJay said, you send mail via your new service provider's outgoing mail server, and receive mail from eircom's incoming mail server.

I haven't been with eircom for years, but still use an eircom.net address.

Not sure about that. As it's an eircom address, how would the OP access their servers after moving to a different provider?

As the poster who said they were not sure, I stand corrected and glad I said 'not sure' !!

Q. Is this only possible via outlook?

Q. Is this only possible via outlook?

No, it would be the same for other email programs.

And if you access your email via webmail ([broken link removed]) then you dont have to make any changes at all - it just works regardless of where you are logging in from or what provider you use.

And if you access your email via webmail ([broken link removed]) then you dont have to make any changes at all - it just works regardless of where you are logging in from or what provider you use.[/QUOTE]

That's what we were hoping to do. Haven't changed over yet, but was hoping to organise it this week.

Can anyone advise - is it worth haggling with Sky for a better deal? We currently pay the full package with sports, movies, HD. If we ask to add phone & broadband do you think they'd negotiate?

Back