Do we need illness cover as well as income protection?

elirus

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could advise about mortgage protection/life cover, as we're switching mortgage at the moment and reviewing what we have. The outstanding balance on the mortgage is about 140k with 14 yrs remaining. We currently have a joint policy with serious illness cover, decreasing with the mortgage. Both in our mid forties, 2 dependents in early teens. My husband's income is approx 75k and has income protection. I am not currently working, and most likely won't be for the next 3-4 years (one of the children has some learning difficulties, and we decided I would stay home to help him with his school work).

We're wondering do we need to keep the serious illness cover on the mortgage protection policy, as the income protection is already in place? Or are we better off keeping both? Looking at new quotes, most seem to be dual policies instead of joint, which I understand is better. But to keep a similar policy to what we have now, taken out as a new policy, the monthly premium is increasing from about 65 a month to 80 a month. Obviously I know that's due to us being older now than when we took out the original policy, so if we should look at keeping the illness cover, should we stick with the current joint life plan? Or pay the extra for a new dual plan with illness cover? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Can you not just use your existing plan and transfer that over to the new mortgage?

If you are looking to reduce costs, a simple life cover only reducing term plan is the cheapest. It will be on a joint basis (pays out once) as opposed to dual (can pay out twice).

You do not need critical illness to get a mortgage, just if you want the additional cover. Income protection will replace your husband's income if he can't work due to accident, illness or injury. The critical illness plan will pay a once off lump sum if he gets one of the list of illnesses. If the policy is assigned to the lender and a claim is made, the proceeds will go to the lender.

Also, you don't need to take out critical illness for the full amount of the mortgage, you can have it for a percentage of it.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Can you not just use your existing plan and transfer that over to the new mortgage?
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes, we can absolutely do that! It's just that we haven't reviewed the policy in a few years, and with us switching now, we just thought we'd review it and see if it's still our best option. So I was just wondering in general, if it's a good idea to still keep the illness cover as well as the income protection, or do people normally just have one or the other. We could afford to keep paying both, but we just weren't sure if it was overkill.

It's insurance. It probably won't happen but if it does, the event is pretty bad. Say your husband got cancer, your mortgage would be paid off and he'd have his income protection. Or you got cancer, the mortgage would be paid off. It would relieve the stress. If the cost isn't an issue and you can just use the existing plan, I'd keep it.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back