Do Owner Occupiers get a better deal on Stamp Duty on a New House than FTB's

Darth Vader

I note from the Revenue that a FTB of a new house over 125sqm is exempt up to a value of €317,500. After that, they are charged Stamp Duty.
However, Owner Occupiers are exmpt from Stamp Duty under the 1/4 rule on a new hous over 125sq. Under this rule, ahouse would have to be over approx. €500,000 before stamp duty would apply. (if the site value is below €127,000).

If I am right, then FTB get a worse deal than Owner Occupiers. Am I right?

Re: Do Owner Occupiers get a better deal on Stamp Duty on a New Houase than FTB's

If they are an FTB and an Owner Occupier, surely they can choose the calculation that's most beneficial to them?

Re: Do Owner Occupiers get a better deal on Stamp Duty on a New Houase than FTB's

FTB's are Owner Occupiers - they are the ones getting the best deal.

FTBs get a break on old houses ( up to 317.5) that OO's of old houses do not get. FTB's of new houses get the same break as OO's of new houses.

Clubman is much better at this than I am.

mf

Not this time. I don't really understand the question in the first place. In particular:
If I am right, then FTB get a worse deal than Owner Occupiers. Am I right?
does not make sense to me. Perhaps the original poster can clarify?

ok, i think i've confused the matter!

a first time buyer of a new house is exempt from stamp duty up to €317,500 (over 125sqm). Over that price limit, he can use the 1/4 rule to get an exemption from stamp duty, the same as an Owner/Occupier.
So basically once a new house is lower than about €500,000, a FTB is exempt from stamp duty. Is that the situation?

So a FTB and and Owner Occupier get the same stamp duty exeption on new houses? (a FTB having to be an Owner/Occupier but an OO not necessarily being a FTB)

MF has answered this -- FTB OOs get the best of both worlds. I expect that FTB rates are intended for OOs and that FTB investors pay investor rates, but I could be wrong.

Back