Do I tell insurance company about claim on other property?

cappamj

Re: Online insurance

I was looking at quotes online for rental property and this question keeps coming up----- "Have you had any claims in past 5 years" I have not had any claim on rental property but did have a claim on my home ins for a chimney fire.
I wonder now when I am renewing existing policy do I bring it to the ins co attention, or does it only apply to family home policy, rental house is with BOI and family home with FBD.

They would mean do you have any claims on that specific property, so your claim on the home place is irrelevant.

you need to be careful here. Some proposal forms ask if you have had any claims on the property to be insured OR ANY OTHER PROPERTY (capital emphasis is my own). It might be better to mention on the form that you did have a property claim on another property, not the one being insured and give details if required.

The last thing you want, is for any claim on the property being insured, being declined due to NON DISCLOSURE of claims history. Bear in mind also, that most insurance companies subscribe to a database of claimants. If you have a fresh claim, your name will be matched against the previous claim.

Back