Do Elec suppliers have to tell you when your contract expires?

Mrs Vimes

As the thread title says...

My latest bill from Energia came in the last few days and it says:
Is this the right tariff for you? You can shop around for a better deal. There are no penalties for switching when your contract expires.
Your contract end date 01/06/2018. Current plan EAB €xxxx. New tariff EAB €xxxx. You will continue to receive your discount on your next bill.

It then gives me the rate I'm currently paying and states that EAB is calculated using average consumption. I had to google EAB but it's Estimated Annual Bill.

I was wondering whether the Energy Regulator had made them include this information?

Very useful information, especially when I hadn't remembered that I was coming to the end of contract.

Bord Gais rang me to tell me my 12 month contract was up at the end of the month, but they would continue my 24% discount (off their standard rate) for another 12 months without any contractual obligation on my part . . I probably won't bother switching now.

Hi RedOnion, no, normal bill-pay.

Hi Michaelm, there wasn't any attempt to get me to renew with them, maybe there will be on my next bill.

I've seen posts about posters not knowing when their car insurance expires and blaming insurance companies if their renewal notice arrives late or not at all. Now energy contracts. What's next, health insurance, life insurance, motor tax (motortax.ie does a fine job), passport expires, drivers' licences. Does anyone accept personal responsibility anymore or are all consumer-level contracts to include a clause that says "the supplier agrees to wake the client up regularly and run his/her life"? Desk diary, paper calendar, post-it notes, electronic organisers, tech versions of same are widely available for your watch, phone, pad, lap-top, desk-top and so on, please use one of them and assume responsibility for you own life and the milestones and anniversaries.

I've seen posts about posters not knowing when their car insurance expires and blaming insurance companies if their renewal notice arrives late or not at all. Now energy contracts. What's next, health insurance, life insurance, motor tax (motortax.ie does a fine job), passport expires, drivers' licences. Does anyone accept personal responsibility anymore or are all consumer-level contracts to include a clause that says "the supplier agrees to wake the client up regularly and run his/her life"? Desk diary, paper calendar, post-it notes, electronic organisers, tech versions of same are widely available for your watch, phone, pad, lap-top, desk-top and so on, please use one of them and assume responsibility for you own life and the milestones and anniversaries.

I'd say you're glad you got that off your chest..... :rolleyes:

Bord Gais rang me to tell me my 12 month contract was up at the end of the month, but they would continue my 24% discount (off their standard rate) for another 12 months without any contractual obligation on my part . . I probably won't bother switching now.
Lucky you! When my contract ended in Feb on the same 24% offer I really wanted to stay with bord gais and explicitly asked for an offer to stay but was told i would just get a standard 5% discount and a 50 euro credit and that's all they could do, even though they offer great deals to new customers.
I said given that electric ireland could match the rates & give a 175 euro bonus, I'd have to leave so and shop around again in a year but would much prefer to stay but no attempt at all to retain my custom which seems bizarre to me. Hopefully these new regs may help incentivise energy companies to offer a deal to keep your business longer than a year.

Hi Mathepac,

I don't see any language in my OP to suggest I planned to blame anyone other than myself if I had rolled on to "undiscounted" rates, not sure how I'm failing to accept personal responsibility?

Sybil

Lucky you! When my contract ended in Feb on the same 24% offer I really wanted to stay with bord gais and explicitly asked for an offer to stay but was told i would just get a standard 5% discount and a 50 euro credit and that's all they could do
Maybe I'm high usage so they extended my discount. I could probably save around €50 over the year if I switched to energia but it may not be enough for me to go to the trouble of switching . . I'll probably just bump along and keep an eye out for an offer too good to refuse.

Back