Do ABP read original PA submissions?

D2WW

Hi, I'm wondering if ABP read all the original submissions for a planning application, or do they just look at the planners report? A mobile mast near my house was refused by the local council recently, and the applicant has appealed to ABP. I and several others made submissions to this PA, and would be repeating the same points to ABP if needed. The question is, do we actually need to?

Hi, I'm wondering if ABP read all the original submissions for a planning application, or do they just look at the planners report? A mobile mast near my house was refused by the local council recently, and the applicant has appealed to ABP. I and several others made submissions to this PA, and would be repeating the same points to ABP if needed. The question is, do we actually need to?
It is my understanding that you need to make a submission to ABP now, which costs you another 50 quid. At least that is what we did

The Board will review the case 'de novo' - 'from the beginning' - they will review the reports on file including the Local Authority planning report which will include a summary of objections, and their reason for refusal. The Board will make their decision by reference to national and local policy and the impact of the proposal on these. Technically I would say you do not need to make a submission , however you will probably feel better if you do - particularly if the decision doesn't go your way.

Thanks both, The "summary of objections" by the county council planner in our case while adequate didn't include all points raised in the submissions. So, for the peace of mind that we did everything possible I will be spending the €50.
One thing that surprised me was the county planner declining to include a doubt about land ownership which I had raised. The site owners map in the PA included an extra and essential bit of road frontage which isn't on their Land Registry Folio map, but the county council planner didn't mention this in their report.

Land ownership isn't usually a planning issue - it is more a legal matter and it is something that ABP/LA's avoid adjudicating on(though obviously I don't know the details of this case) .

The grant of planning permission does not give you a right to develop if you don't have the legal right to do so.

ABP has limited scope in what it can actually consider and people often put in lots of things in objections that may not be directly relevant - however as I say for piece of mind it is probably worth your while.

Back