DIY or get an accountant ?

N

niceone

This will be my first year to make a tax return (perhaps this thread should go into the Tax section) on rental income. I have read the revenue guide to rental income and have a pretty good idea what my allowances are. Should I pay an accountant to look after this, if so, how much per property ? Or, should I give it a go myself and save some money ? I am PAYE so no knowledge of tax return whatsoever !

You should at first at least attempt it your self, you could register with ROS it is quite easy to file an on line tax return.

However it may be worth having an accountant prepare the first year in order to ensure you are claiming all the allowances available. You can then just copy on from there.

I must admit I am biased being an accountant.

I'm looking to fill in the form12 due to dividends received on shares (from ireland/UK/US) What part of the form should these entries go under?

Thanks

S.

I dont think Ordinary PAYE workers can submitt returns using ROS. AFAIK you must either be self assessed, have a VAT number or be an Employer.Niceone, I am in exactly the same position as yourself, filling out a form 12 for the first time. I contacted the revenue and they said if you have any problems just call in to your local office and they can help. I would like to try to do it myself, rather than using an accountant. No offence to accountants !

Back