Divorced Mortgagee

idontknow

Hi

My mother is divorced and is stuck paying an €850 per month mortgage + bills etc and only earns an average wage. A couple of her work colleagues who are in the same position have said that they got some additional tax relief due to their mortgage, one of them also received €4,000 of a rebate (don't know what this was for). Basically neither of them are paying tax now and previously were (probably paid about €450 per week)

Does anyone know what this is about? I don't understand how they would be getting extra tax relief as they are already claiming mortgage interest relief.

Any advice would be appreciated as she is very worried about coping with mortgage bills etc....

Was it a [broken link removed] when they became unemployed?
Was it a backdated owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief claim?
Why not ask them exactly what it was?

Thanks Clubman

I said she should find out some details. Im more curious about the fact her colleague she's not paying any tax and was previously in the tax net.

I suppose if she rang the revenue and welfare depts she might find out something, but my experience is that you don't get anywhere unlesss you know exactly what to ask for/what you are entitled to.

You mentioned two people who are not paying tax in your first post. Can you please clarify the details here? Also you might be better off asking the people in question exactly why they got these tax rebates and exemption from income tax (if this is true at all) rather than us trying to guess what happened.

Back