Dividing Wall

Friday

My fathers neighbour has asked to increase the height of their dividing side passage wall where he is building an extension.

Are there any reasons why he should say no to this request.

my wife makes me watch loads of property programs...the hassle some people have gone though in the UK where Party Wall Agreements seem to be stronger is incredible...people have had delays of like 6-12 months!

I am not sure of what I should be looking out for in these agreements. My elderly Dad doesn't want to offend his neighbour but I have suggested caution...but have not been able to give him a good reason why he needs to be cautious.

I agree that his neighbour could subsequently deny my Dad doing a similar construction at some time in the future....however this was always a possibility and whilst unfair perhaps, does not change the current position.

Are there any more tangible examples of potential problems that may arise that I can give him.

You need an engeneer to look at the job.Forget architects, they are usually not able to tell you much about legislations and traps you (and your building neighbour !) could run into. She/he needs the construction drawings , words weigh little when it comes to physics .

As said above, your fathers neighbour needs your fathers permission to build on to the party wall. If he doesnt get it, he can just build an extension inside his own boundary, subject to planning, as long as no part of it encroaches on to your fathers property.

As to whether your father should give permission or not, I'd agree with the answers above in that he would probably need an engineer to advise him on whether the wall itself is strong enough for the development proposed, whether the proposed extension would affect him in any way, whether it be by blocking light, how rainwater is to be disposed of etc. An engineer has a cost though.

If your father doesnt mind the actual proposed extension, could he ask the neighbour a) to pay for the cost of him consulting an engineer to check it out for him and have the neighbour agree to modify his proposed extension as per any recommendations of the engineer and b) get agreement in writing that in future should your father want to build such an extension that he has permission to do so?

Back