Dividend Tax - Is It Treated As PAYE Income?

Sparx123

Hopefully this is the right forum for this...

Suppose a person wasn't employed (and wasn't trying to claim any benefits) but owned stocks or US-domiciled ETFs which provided passive income in the form of dividends. As far as I'm aware these dividends are taxed based on marginal tax rate + PRSI + USC.

If this income is the only income this person earns:
- Does payment of income tax entitle them to the PAYE tax credit as if the income had come from PAYE employment? Are there minimums required to avail of this credit?
- Does the payment of PRSI count as contribution towards their state pension? I presume there are minimums here (I read elsewhere that a yearly minimum of 500 Euro is required to fully cover this contribution).

Many Thanks,

Sparx

- Does payment of income tax entitle them to the PAYE tax credit as if the income had come from PAYE employment? Are there minimums required to avail of this credit?
No. They can only claim their personal tax credit. There's no equivalent of the PAYE credit for unearned income.

- Does the payment of PRSI count as contribution towards their state pension?
Yes. You only pay PRSI if total income is >5,000 per annum. And the minimum payment is 500.

I read in some place in Revenue's website that € 1.217,00 earned yearly with dividends is tax free. After that, you have to pay taxes as an income.
I am quite sure someone also posted in this forum.

I read in some place in Revenue's website that € 1.217,00 earned yearly with dividends is tax free. After that, you have to pay taxes as an income.
I am quite sure someone also posted in this forum.
100% incorrect. That is capital gains allowance. Dividends are income = PAYE taxes I'm afraid.

Back