Discrepency in spouses pension post 1995 as against pre 1995

stoves1

Retired from Garda recently joined 1999, had to retire as reached 60yrs (compulsory retirement). I was always under the impression that if i were to predecease my wife, she would recieve 50% of my pension.
The percentage difference between post and pre 1995 is circa 18% in my case nearly 2.8k per annum. I recieved this lower figure on my gross gratuity letter on retirement.
I queried this with Garda pensions and they say they have raised the descrepency with DPER and if/when they get an update i willl be let know.
This is coming down the road for all post 1995 public servants and needs to be addressed.
Any advice on how this can be addressed as i feel it is a can kicked down the road!

I
Retired from Garda recently joined 1999, had to retire as reached 60yrs (compulsory retirement). I was always under the impression that if i were to predecease my wife, she would recieve 50% of my pension.
The percentage difference between post and pre 1995 is circa 18% in my case nearly 2.8k per annum. I recieved this lower figure on my gross gratuity letter on retirement.
I queried this with Garda pensions and they say they have raised the descrepency with DPER and if/when they get an update i willl be let know.
This is coming down the road for all post 1995 public servants and needs to be addressed.
Any advice on how this can be addressed as i feel it is a can kicked down the road!

If you've been paying full PRSI and are working or signing on for PRSI credits since retiring then presumably she will be eligible for the full widow's contributory pension?

If you've been paying full PRSI and are working or signing on for PRSI credits since retiring then presumably she will be eligible for the full widow's contributory pension?
True, but Class D also provides eligibility for the widow/widower's contributory pension. One of the few benefits it does provide.

"Retired from Garda recently joined 1999, had to retire as reached 60yrs (compulsory retirement). I was always under the impression that if i were to predecease my wife, she would recieve 50% of my pension.
The percentage difference between post and pre 1995 is circa 18% in my case nearly 2.8k per annum. I recieved this lower figure on my gross gratuity letter on retirement."

Yes, the survivor's pension is calculated differently for those on Class A - which includes all post-1995 people. It is a cumbersome formula. It is calculated as half the pension that would have been payable to the retired person if their pension had in turn been calculated on the basis of Pensionable Remuneration minus the State Pension Rate at date of retirement!

For Class D people it is half the pension rate of the deceased retiree.

my wife has been working all her life so in effect she will be entitled to a full contributory pension in her own right, will she be entitled to a seperate widows pension on top, seperate from the Garda widows if i predecease her and i already have 40yrs prsi contributions

in effect will she be entitled to Garda spouses pension plus her own contributory pension plus a widows pension?
Appreciate your help here

No. She can only get one State Pension, the higher of her own State Contributory Pension or the Widow's Contributory pension.

"Generally, you cannot get a Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension and another social welfare payment at the same time. For example, if you are entitled to a Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension and a State Pension (Contributory), you will be paid whichever is the higher amount.

OK, would like to move it on, so thinking a few tracks ie Pensions Ombudsman, WRC, or local TD any suggetions?

OK, would like to move it on, so thinking a few tracks ie Pensions Ombudsman, WRC, or local TD any suggetions?

Pilgrimage to Lourdes? Alternatively forget about it and get on with enjoying your retirement.

Was this on your yearly pension statement?

Mine always say, if you retire you will get, say 24K per annum, and on your death your spouse will get, 12K per annum. It is always very clear on each annual statement.

I find it unusual that your yearly statement would not be crystal clear on this and it is something you should have known for the last 23 years.

Was this on your yearly pension statement?

Mine always say, if you retire you will get, say 24K per annum, and on your death your spouse will get, 12K per annum. It is always very clear on each annual statement.

I find it unusual that your yearly statement would not be crystal clear on this and it is something you should have known for the last 23 years.
Never got a yearly statement of pension and speaking to colleagues nobody does, the only information anyone ever gets in Gardai is on their representative associations diary, and this stated that a spouses pension is half of your pension.
Anyhow had a good laugh at Grouchos suggestion " Pilgrimage to Lourdes" fair play

Back