Disclaim Inheritance

Realtime

My sister and I have been left the family home, but as she will require nursing home care in the near future, my question is can she disclaim her 50% share of the house, so as that I could inherit her share rather than the other beneficiaries getting her share?

What difference does her move to a nursing home make? Why can’t she just pocket the 50% anyway?

Need to review exact wording of will, but generally speaking if a beneficiary disclaims, their share falls into the residuary bucket.

If she is availing of fair deal they may still take into account an asset (or a potential) inheritance, she gave away. I am not sure at all, not being a lawyer, but it is something she should look into before she takes the decision.

She should get some independent legal advice before she decides anything,

If its done 5 years before entering the fair deal scheme that's the only way it wouldn't be assessed it'd seem to me. Unless the will is amended she has inherited the asset otherwise there's nothing to disclaim, and the question wouldn't arise.

The fair deal office at this stage would have seen every version of this. I know in our case, they queried land owned by another person of same name 10 miles from applicant.

Last edited:
Not so.

Anyone can disclaim an inheritance; thats not hiding an asset.
Fair Deal looks at Transferred Assets not Hidden Assets.

Transferred assets
The assessment will look at assets that you have transferred (for example any land, money or property you have given to another person) since applying for State support or in the 5 years before the application.

Disclaiming an inheritance doesn't sound to me like transferring an asset. But worth checking with a lawyer, I would say.

I think that is why she needs to consult a solicitor, disclaiming an inheritance and how that will be been treated for the purpose of the fair deal scheme is a valid question. It was raised in the Dail last year. But the answer was a non-answer. The circumstances may not even arise for the OP.

She was asking if her sister could disclaim in favour of herself, which she cannot - she can disclaim but the benefit goes to the residual estate and the will would dictate what would happen then.

Back