Directors Mileage and Subsistence claim

clonjess

Hi, my regsitered office is in Cork but i work as an engineer in Dublin ( On one Site) and live there from Monday to Friday. I have read all leaflets on the Revenue website in relation to claiming mileage and subsistence and even rang their office about same but to be honest I am still unsure as to what I can claim in terms of mileage! I was under the impression that I could claim to and from work every day? Would anybody have any advice as I do not want to be caught out in an audit. Thanks!

If you are working as a director of your own company and being paid a salary out if the company then you can claim the rates in IT54 that are allowed by the revenue.

You can claim the journeys from cork to dublin based on the standard mileage rate and an overnight allowance in dublin.

You'll find the IT54 by searching on the web it explains the rules

If you are working as a director of your own company and being paid a salary out if the company then you can claim the rates in IT54 that are allowed by the revenue.

You can claim the journeys from cork to dublin based on the standard mileage rate and an overnight allowance in dublin.

You'll find the IT54 by searching on the web it explains the rules

Don't believe this is as simple as stated. It hinges on what's defined as your "normal place of work." You would do well to persuade revenue during an audit that your normal place of work is in Cork when you work five days per week in one site in Dublin.

This is the norm for alot of IT contract workers.
You go wherever the work is.

I am assuming the director in question also lives in cork and not just that the registered office is in cork. For most one man companies your home address is also your registered address.

The standard rates are available for 6 months if you are continuously in one location after that you can go back to a receipts basis.

Ideally you break the continuation in one location so that you can then go back to the full civil service rates even in the same location.

The revenue pay these rates to their own staff when they travel if you are genuinely travelling then you have no problem claiming these allowances

Back