Directors Guarantee after 10 years now letter

verydown

Hi all, this is my first posting.

I was one of four directors of a limited company that went into liquidation around 2001. All four directors signed a Directors Guarantee (it was my first directorship and I was just happy to sign anything as I trusted the others).

After the company went down the bank (Barclays) came after their money, I agreed to a repayment agreement of £40 per month, I have been paying this without issue ever since (over 10 years now).

Today I received a letter from Barclays stating that they are now reviewing my case and want a financial statement from me.

I am in a worse financial state than 10 years ago now trying to keep my head above water with a small business I run with my wife, we both can only afford part time wages and have other debts with credit cards etc which we have had to make payment plans with.

I am worried that the debt guarantee with Barclays was substantial I think it was around £70k and each director was responsible for any/all of it.

We are just making our mortgage payments and I am worried about Barclays taking a charge over the house, I also have a secured guarantee with my current business bank for our overdraft and sorry that if they see a charge over the house they might cancel the overdraft or I lose my house.

It is over 10 years now since the monthly payments started what can I do?
What can Barclays do?

Thanks sleepless worried me.

As you were paying 40 every month you kept the debt alive. From what you say Barclays are looking to increase your payments under the guise of a review.It is HIGHLY unlikely they will go for a charge on the house.
Can I suggest write to them and ask for their financial statement form and a print out of what they say YOU still owe.Ask for a copy of theguarantee you signed.
I don,t see major hassle here but take it cautiously .

Hi

I presume that you are based in the UK?

This is an Irish site and the law and practice in the UK, may be very different to that in Ireland.

Brendan

Back