Digital TV

P

potblack

Considering getting digital TV. Already a NTL customer. For 12 euros extra a month you get a load more stations.
But then someone mentioned going for Sky Digital. However after looking at the Sky website I am now totally confused. Has anybody compared both and can provide an idiots guide?

I have worked out that Sky is more expensive for the basic package and I have to pay for equipment, but I can't figure out how much I have to pay and do I then own it.

Will I still have standard NTL stations if I go with SKY.Any pointers will be welcomed.

After 12 months with SKY, you own the equipment, so you will have free BBC.

You wont however have UTV or channel 4 with SKY.

thats interesting, i was considering getting a digital receiver and dish installed specifically to avail of the free to view bbc etc. and buy the utv/chan 4 card this package costs 300euro/400euro with utv card

in that case i would be as well off to sign up to sky for 1 year and then i would own the dish and receiver

is it difficult to connect a second reveiver to the sky dish at a later stage so that i could have 2 tvs hooked up to the dish working independent of each other

those cards

> buy the utv/chan 4 card this package costs 300euro/400euro with utv card

From where ? The cards cost from €100 to €300 and were only ever issued to the UK market. Did you mention they can be turned off ?

PipZu

You can connect up to 4 receivers to one dish, you need to get another device called an LNB.

As Sky will only give you 1 dish and digibox, you will have to buy a second one if you need it.

However a mate of mine got a second 12 month subscription as he used the name on the house (as opposed to the number) and a different family name, but needed a different tel no.

Subscription 1: Joe Bloggs; 1, Happy Road, tel 1234567
Subscription 2: Jane Bloggs; "Very", Happy Road, tel 1234568

It was a great victory for the little man!

i didnt realise that the utv card is unauthorised, is there no way of getting utv/chan 4 in ireland bar signing up for chorus or the like

You could get a UK subscription - if you knew someone there or even Norn Iron

Back