digital music downloads

• Thread starter music searcher
  • Start date
M

music searcher

HI,I am trying to find a site where I can pay for and download music to burn to cd.I tried ITUNES and it seems it is not working in this country.Also Napster not available and when I try and log onto Eircom.net/music,I just get a continuous trigger like sound as if you continuously are pressing the mouse and have a blank screen.I would be grateful for comments.

I think that eircom's site requires that you have Windows Media Player (or possibly a specific version) installed or else it won't work properly/at all. It should prompt you to download/install it if necessary though. Have you tried Google for music download sites?

Just tried the site and got this:

You cannot view the eircom net music club because your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements. To use the eircom net music club you need the following programs and Operating Systems installed on your computer:
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>Internet Explorer 5.0 (or higher) - click [broken link removed] to download the latest version </li><li>Windows Media Player 7.0 (or higher) - click [broken link removed] to download the latest version </li><li>Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP </li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

The Dr Download tool, provided by our technology partner OD2, can give your computer an [broken link removed] and links to the software updates you need to access the Music Club.

Note: The eircom net music club is not currently compatible with Macintosh computers.

The above isn't exactly "legal". Even paypal have stopped working with them. 1 US cent per MB is definitely not approved by the music industry.

As for iTunes not working in Ireland, you can thank IMRO for that, they put a last minute block on it; don't ask me why, especially since they are starting a crack down on illegal downloads.

Hi Chrisb
The above isn't exactly "legal"
Can you point me to any proof of this ?

I did some research before subscribing and it all indicated that it was perfectly legal - though I admit it looks like something of a loophole. However, as the music industry seems to be trying to close every other (both legitimate and illegitimate) method of getting hold of cheap music in Ireland, I have little sympathy for them.

It was also quoted in the Irish Times last Friday - hardly a promoter of dodgy web sites.

eD

PS I should add that I don't condone illegal sharing/pirating of music. I believe that the industry, especially the musicians/writers etc., are entitled to a fair return.

Hi euroDilbert,
there is no definitive answer yet, but here is some info I've come across.

Quote from http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/26/1082831475556.html:
"There is no indication in our dealings with allofmp33.com over several weeks that this is one of those dubious enterprises so much loved by the Russian mafia. Our credit card doesn't seem to have been abused, and while we have no legal qualifications, we can't see that it fails to comply with the Berne Convention on copyright. According to the company, "All the materials in the MediaServices projects are available for distribution via internet, according to Licence # LS-3M-02-36 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society."

By international copyright law, if they pay for the license in Russia, then they can sell them in Russia, legally. But this does not allow them to sell in other countries.
Take iTunes for example; if you knew someone in the UK then theoretically you could give that address as a billing address. The European Music Industry put a halt to that though, by implementing a system that checks where the country of origin of the credit card is. So, Apple are allowed to sell to UK based customers, because they pay license fees there, but can't do the same in Ireland.

allofmp33 have also been classified illegal in Australia: [broken link removed]
I'm not sure how many other countries have done so, but I presume google would shed some light on this.

I agree with you on the matter of illegal downloads, especially as it hurts the artists; couldn't give a damn about those blood sucking record labels ;-)

Well, as one of our other regular posters might say - IANAL.
However, the most comprehensive info on the site I found is [broken link removed].

I also got other information from boards.ie and quite a few Google'd sites. When the ITimes published it in their 'Free or Cheap' guide to legally downloading music last Friday - I was even more reassured :)

allofmp33 have also been classified illegal in Australia
Reading the article - it has been condemned by the Australian recording industry as illegal - not by the authorities. This sounds a bit like IRMA here condemning CDWOW as illegal. Luckily the record companies don't have the power to decide the law (yet).

Thanks for all the suggestions re digital music.The Tesco site proved a bit of a swizz trying to play tracks and acquiring licenses.I must get onto them about trying to refund the 12 euro wasted..easier said than done with their contact details.
As regards the Allo3fmp..it is just fab..very reasonable and great quality and easy to use along with all the reassuring data that the credit card won't be hijacked by Russian Mafia!
Thanks again.

Back