digital camera

T

Tom

Hi,
I need to buy a digital camera this week. I want a good reliable model which is latest technology but easy to use. I need it fairly soon cos my wife is having a baby and I want to be a snap happy daddy. I have seen loads of models in the Argos catalog but I am not sure which would suit. It looks like any camera with 3 megapixels+ will do. And one that does small movie clips. Any suggestions appreciated....Tom.

camera

Tom,

My suggestion would be to first set a price you're willing to pay.
Then, go into a camera shop and spend as long as you can looking at, handling and operating as many cameras there within that price range as you can before making a decision. This will help you find one you're comfortable using. If you can, dont buy on impulse but think about what you've seen. When you've narrowed down your possibilities, go back and look at those ones again.
Choose a brand name you recognise with a decent lens.

Of course, if you had the time and the inclination to research and wait, you could get a better price buying on the net.

By the way, congratulations on the impending arrival.

Re: camera

Be sure to get one with sound as this makes a huge difference to movie clips........Incidently I bought a Digital camera in Centra for 20 euro & its great for kids. (352 X 288 pixels)

web

thanks guys.

i will go into a camera shop and get a feel for whats out there.

flash, what website would you recommend for buying digital cameras etc ?

Re: web

When I was buying one both http://www.amazon.co.uk (amazon.co.uk) and were offering good value. I bought from Amazon in the end.

out of interest

Dearg Doom,

As a matter of interest, what did you buy and why ?

Tom

Re: out of interest

I bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73S. I bought it because it was highly rated in reviews that I was reading, becasue it can take MPEG video clips with sound and generally I'm comfortable buying Sony products. There was very little difference between the price on Pixmania and Amazon (Amazon was slightly dearer) but I got a free case and additional set of batteries from Amazon so I bought there. It was ~€100 cheaper than the best price the Sony Centre would offer me - although I didn't shop around much offline - and it's even cheaper now. I bought 256Mb Sony Memory Stick Pro from shop4memory.com - that was €50 cheaper than the Sony Centre.

camera

What is the difference between Camcorder and digital camera?

sony

Dearg Doom,

This is one thing that confuses me. Why did you buy the
"256Mb Sony Memory Stick Pro" ? Was there no memory device already included with the camera ?

Thanks.

Re: sony

It comes with a 16Mb Memory Stick which will store 4 full resolution pictures (4Mb each) which isn't much - it will store more pictures if you take samaller ones (the smallest are ~140kb each) . The more memory you have the more/larger pictures you can store on the device. Recording video really eats up memory.

Re: sony

what website would you recommend for buying digital cameras etc?

Compare specs and read reviews on www.dpreview.com

When you settle on a model, you might also have a peep at [broken link removed]'s current specials...

Dr. M.

Dearg Doom

DD

I am also interested in this specific camera, did you get it on the net, and do you find it as good as the reviews say it is

Back