Digital Camcorder

P

Paul24

I have a good digital camera but I would like to buy a Digital camcorder to capture family moments. I would be interested in making small movies with some of the software packages out on the market, but there is such a range of cameras it's hard to know where to start.

I borrowed a digital camcorder before and it only had the DV out available. My attempt at a movie was resultant in poor quality as I couldn't transfer the movie back to the Tape via a DV in port. My computer has a firewire connection so downloading speed is OK. I tried burning the movie to a CD but the quality was very poor.

Has anybody got any personal recommendations on digital camcorders. My budget is mid range but I am open to persuasion.

I recommend CAnon MV730i from Pixmania.com. I also recommend Ulead Video Studio 8 from Amazon.co.uk.

I would strongly recommend the Sony DCR H40E (from Amazon .co.uk) This is a beauty and has all the features you will need including DV in / out.It also has an "analog in" feature meaning you can transfer your old analog movies to digital through the Sony. Picture quality is supurb and sound is good too. I previously owned a Canon Mv650i and was very disapointed with both picture and sound quality. The mic is positioned near the motor on all Canons resulting in an audible buzz on your movies. It is almost useless when used indoors in poor lighting.

The software i recommend is Pinnacle Studio 8.

DV

I got the cheapest Canon (600) for E500 last Christmas. It has been fine. Use Windows Movie maker which is buiolt in with XP for all editing. Only advantgae of DV in is if you want to edit in film or video footage from TV or VCR.

Can't see how quality of output would be bad, if you can burn to DVD then play it back on player.

Back