Irish Life Health Different cover when abroad VHI/Aviva

Puesyo

Hiya

We have recently switched from VHI to Aviva. Has anyone noticed, generally for all plans VHI will cover emergency treatment abroad for in-patient, out-patient and day-care procedures, plus they do not specify how long is a "temporary stay abroad". Aviva on the other hand, seem to only cover for in-patient emergency procedures and not out-patient or day-care procedures plus they specify that all cover is for stays abroad of 31 days or less. All of this regardless of the type of plan. Am I reading this right?

I am going abroad for about 6 weeks. I have travel insurance but in any case, I though it was odd reading the difference in cover between the two different health providers and I wanted to make sure I was reading it right.

I dont know the answer to your question but they seem to be differenct products. We had an occasion to call on VHI when abroad. I will never forget the wonderful service they gave both my husband, the patient, and I.
They contacted the hospital daily to check on the progress. Each day they phoned me to update me on the medical progress and advise me as to treatment. They took responsibility for us both. It was very comforting and for their service I could not change Insurers.
They offered to provide Airambulance for my husband. As the weeks passed he recovered and they paid for hotel stay for 7 days to allow him recover and then paid our fares home. Browtal

Wow browtal, that gives me a lot of faith in them should i ever need to claim overseas - I am guessing that this is part of the travel insurance paid in addition to the basic policy?

Flossie,
No just the usual B plan. They are too expensive for older people to take out travel insurance.
Hope you will never have to claim overseas but I could not recommend them enough for care and attention. It was dealth with their overseas representatives in Holland. Browtal

Hey. As far as i know a temporary stay abroad with VHI (as of last year when I checked in terms and conditions) was 180 days per calender year. With Aviva and Quinn this is much shorter at about a month. If 31 days, a 6 week stay abroad would invalidate your policy and / or your cover on that trip if you claimed abroad and they asked for proof of journey with flight tickets. They may extend to cover all the trip if you ask but its very unlikely you will need to claim and it may invalidate your policy depending on terms and conditions in it.
Have a read on this post, its a different topic but may have some info for you. Enjoy your trip

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=136727

Last edited:
Back