I'm quite new homeowner and I was charged €5500 for:
• 3 meters of breathable membrane felt supplied and fitted
• all new treated lats of timber
• main roof repointed and resealed
• all lead valleys repointed and resealed
• apek repointed and sealed
• chimney sealed up
• all rubbish removed

Does this seem accurate? I feel like it was a lot to pay and I was extremely stressed and just wanted it done at the time

Thanks for any advice

Hi,

I'm quite new homeowner and I was charged €5500 for:
• 3 meters of breathable membrane felt supplied and fitted
• all new treated lats of timber
• main roof repointed and resealed
• all lead valleys repointed and resealed
• apek repointed and sealed
• chimney sealed up
• all rubbish removed

Does this seem accurate? I feel like it was a lot to pay and I was extremely stressed and just wanted it done at the time

Thanks for any advice
Besides cost, main thing to ask was the firm reputable - ie hopefully they did as good as job as possible. issues with roofs/chimneys leaking can be disastorous , so well done for getting the preventative mainteance done!

Does not sound too expensive considering the cost of roof repairs these days. Many moons ago we just had tiles just moved from one spot to another and it cost a few hundred euro. It was a very reputable company and I had got other quotes which were similar. I understand that their insurance alone is very expensive which naturally adds to their expenses.

Don't forget that its hard these days to get good roof repairers so someone reliable is worth their weight in gold. Think of the consequences if they were not good at their job. So many stories about poor elderly people being taken advantage of by dreadful roof repairs.

For future reference in light of your new homeowner tag its recommended that you get approx 3 quotes before proceeding with jobs around house. These days that can be hard to achieve as quite often its like extracting teeth just trying for one quote as builders are so busy.

By the sounds of things you did the right thing in getting a good job done especially in light of the heavy rain that we are having these days. Put it behind you if you are happy with the work and don't torment yourself further :)

The time to look at costs is before any work is done - specify what you want done, get a few quotes and choose the one you are happy with from a cost and reputation viewpoint

If the work is urgent, then just get it done and pay the invoice - there is nothing to be gained by worrying afterwards if you had overpaid

Repointing is always a bit expensive so it doesn't seem that expensive for that amount of work.

Back