Dialer Hijack

M

Michael

On my home dialup connection, I use the UTV dialer software and it tells me it is dialing 18*********, as installed.

Does the fact that I "see" this number being called, guarantee that I am not being put through one of the other recent "media hype" numbers (mauritsius etc)?

dialup

Click Start | settings | network and dialup connections
right click the dialup that you use, click properties and look at the number. Thats the number in use when you're dialing.

The 2 instances of modem hijacks that Ive seen work by silently hanging up an existing call and dialing another number so that you dont see it happening. This is opposed to what youre concerned about which is editing the number of an existing connection (not to say there arent ones out there that dont do this)

If youre worried youve been hijacked,

block

the guarantee is that they were blocked last week ,

no no no no no no

It does not guarantee you wont be hijacked. It does not guarantee you wont be dialing of other countries not in the block list and it does not guarantee you wont be dialing satellite ISPs which Ive seen first hand.

After much digging around on the comreg site, Ive found the pdf related to this which lists the countries blocked.
see the appendix here
It lists these countries
Appendix B – Destinations for which Direct Dial Facilities are
to be suspended
Destination Code
Norfolk Island 00 672
Sao Tome and Principe 00 239
Cook Islands 00 682
Tokelau 00 690
Diego Garcia 00 246
Wallis and Futuna 00 681
Nauru 00 674
Tuvalu 00 688
Comoros 00 269
Kiribati 00 686
Solomon Islands 00 677
Mauritiana 00 222
French Polynesia 00 689

note: Clean pc Key post updated to include ref to the pdf.

Back