Device for blocking T.V. advertisements

M

Marie

I don't watch t.v. much and have only the (bare!) four terrestrial channels, BBC 1 and 2, ITV (UTV in Ireland) and Channel 4.

Recently the UK broadcasters have lengthened the "ads" between chunks of programmes so that its about 15 minutes programme to 10 minutes advertisements and it's driving me spare!

In these times of fancy gadgets which can do everything and anything, is there some gadget which can be bought and fitted/programmed etc. which can pick up specific signals for advertisements (they seem to have a code in the top right hand corner) and which can "block" them?

If not there's an important niche market for some entrepreneur here.........

?

No smart This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language has mentioned the 'off' button yet?

(Get rid of the tellyouvision)

?

> is there some gadget which can be bought and fitted/programmed etc. which can pick up specific signals for advertisements (they seem to have a code in the top right hand corner) and which can "block" them?

And what then? A blank screen until programming resumes? I think that some VCRs have/had the ability to screen ads out (based on the onscreen signal or something like that) although I think the feature may have fallen foul of the advertising powers that be. Maybe hard disk or DVD video recorders have this capability these days?

blocking ads

Yes. Something that recognises the signal when the advertisements start up, switches the t.v. to standby and back to full power when the dratted "trailers" come to an end. The clips from "Gladiator" are burned in my brain forever......they were broadcast over and over again!

Re: blocking ads

The good old-fashion fast-forward button on the VCR (and presumably similar facility on DVD recorders) can be very effective.

TV OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxanotherpersonxxx,

Please do me a big favour and shut up with your holier than thou turn your TV off crap. People have tv's. They watch them. Give it a rest will ya. Some of us actually like the things. Just cos you don't that's your problem pal.

Re: TV OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone noticed that the ads esp on TV3 are LOUDER thab the actual program? Its the volume button we scramble for not the on / off button.

I have to agree with rainy use the VCR and fast forward the ads ana rewind the bits you missed.

ajapale

Please do me a big favour and shut up with your holier than thou turn your TV off crap.

No.

People have tv's. They watch them. Give it a rest will ya. Some of us actually like the things. Just cos you don't that's your problem pal.

I personally couldn't care less what you do or don't do. I mentioned a practical solution to TV adverts, which is on topic and relevant to the thread. Please read part 11 of the posting guidelines www.askaboutmoney.com/posting.html

(Sounds to me like you're the one with the problem :D )

no no no

>I mentioned a practical solution to TV adverts

No you didn't. Marie wants a solution so she can WATCH her programmes. Not NOT WATCH them.

?

The off switch is a Device for blocking T.V. advertisements - is it not?

re

How are you supposed to tell when the breaks are over?

Back