Developer hoping to gazump me

KCT

I put a deposit on a house in August. There were three agents selling the house but I wasn't aware that the developer of the house was also one of the agents selling it. I gave my deposit to one of the agents and was told that it was sale agreed, they took down their sign.
It subsequently turns out that the developer is continuing to try to sell the house even though he agreed a price, he refuses to take his sign down and is stalling on signing the contract and is delaying our engineer who wants to get in to do the snag. I like the house but the developer/agent's behaviour is unacceptable, he's not a member of ipav and I don't really know where to go at this stage. Any advice please.

Tell him to you will be demanding your booking depost back if your engineer is delayed any further and that you are prepared to walk away.

I presume you don't want to walk away at this stage. Have you spoken to the agent you went sale agreed with?

"and is stalling on signing the contract "

Theres the problem - you are not in a strong position, you do not have signed contracts. At this stage, given that the house is almost ready, you need to decide whether to threaten pulling out if he will not sign contracts immediately or else hold on until he decides whether or not he will sell to you.

Given that the market has just about stopped I would have thought he'd be better of selling to you than hoping to get a better price.

mf

Back