Devastated

Jaydee

:( My partner and I went sale agreed on a property almost 5 months ago. The property was advertised as being exempt from stamp duty. We were given assurances about this from the estate agent and the vendor (in person). It took months of trying to sort our mortgage through a supposedly reputable broker which turned out to be a complete nightmare. An organisation who need to take a course in customer service.

The vendor also took forever getting various certifications in place. We were very patient and never once demanded that he hurry things along despite two interest rate rises coming into effect during this period. As soon as he got things sorted on his end we started getting calls from his estate agent demanding the contracts get signed asap. We wanted to make sure we drew down at the start of the month so we didnt have to make our first payment until the following month.

We originally agreed to sign on the wednesday. However, my girlfriend had to go back home (abroad) to get tests done on the previous week. She had to go home because there was a 12 month waiting list here. She was only supposed to stay 2 days but the doctors made her stay a week to get further tests done for possible cancer.

We only got our mortgage approval through at the very last minute - by email to our solicitor direct form the broker. I have lost track of the number of times I have been requested to submit additional paperwork. On each occassion I specifically requested that the broker makes sure that this is not repeated by asking the lender to request all the documentation they needed in one go. As anyone will know trying to organising this is hard enough when you are trying to work during the day never mind having to do it in drips and drabs. Our broker, despite knowing that we were so close to signing, showed no interest in pushing this through. In fact only I rang a few days prior to the signing I wouldnt have known that the lender reguired EVEN MORE documentation. Then to make matters worse they stopped returning my calls.

You can imagine the stress we were under. We went to sign contracts last Thursday. In the middle of signing we recieved a phone call from the estate agent demanding that we sign the contracts immediately. Then we discover that the broker/lender couldnt even get our details right with the mortgage we were applying for. None of the 11 queries raised by our solicitor had been addressed by the vendors solicitor and the icing on the cake - THE PROPERTY WAS NOT STAMP DUTY EXEMPT. This meant we would have to find 30,000 from somewhere.

Not to drag this out even longer but the vendor didnt bother replacing the roof which was necessary for a floor area compliance cert to be issued and therefore make the property SD exempt. The bleedin estate agent didnt even know what a floor area compliance certificate was!

At this stage we were as low as you could possibly imagine. We had paid for a structural survey and snag list, 2 valuations, spent weekends sourcing furniture and suppliers etc. Five months have been wasted.

This has been a truly soul destroying process that I wouldnt wish on anyone. I have certainly learned a number of things about Ireland's property boom. 1. Estate agents dont have a clue about what they are selling - about 1/10 are able to answer 1/10 questions you ask during a showing. 2. There is no transparency in mortgage brokers services. 3. You need to be just as cold and ruthless as the people involved in selling.

I am not trying to put people off and I hope that we are an exception but this was so out of order. Is it legal to falsely adervtise?

We just totally distraught...

hi there

dont be down about it. We had a similar nightmare buying our first house.
after viewing over 50 places and being sale agreed on 4 we finally found our perfect house. So keep positive. everyone goes through it and its the very lucky few who dont have hitches along the way, believe me.

It does make you bitter towards EA's, sellers and buyers. But you have to persevere!

This is an extraordinarily sad saga, you have my commiserations.

I cannot understand how it is calculated that you are due to pay SD on this property, given the rules quoted on the [broken link removed] site.

Under Floor Area of 125 sq. m

New houses or apartments which are purchased by an owner occupier (including a first-time buyer) where there exists a valid floor area compliance certificate issued by the Department of Environment and Local Government stating that the total floor area of the house/apartment does not exceed 125 square metres are exempt, subject to clawback.

Just looking at your previous posts, the property is under 125sq.m.

Once again, can i convey my sympathies, and I hope something will turn up, sooner rather than later.

The vendor was supposed to replace the roof but didnt so he wasnt issued with the FACC.

Thanks for the encouragement. Its all thats gone with it thats making this hit hard to take. I just got an email from the solicitor that we have to pay her almost 500 euros. We've even taken out a life insurance policy.

Jaydee,

Feeling soo sorry for you, what a nightmare. We lost out on a house, too, but we were simply outbid, although in a stupid kind of way. I can only imagine the frustration you must feel, and your poor girlfriend with all those tests on top of everything else. I sincerely hope that something else will work out for you soon, or maybe this one will still work out somehow. Best of luck! Don't give up...

Hi Jaydee - I know that right now you feel that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but you never know how things turn out in the future. A few years ago we had gone sale agreed on a property, and within days of getting the mortgage agreed my husband was made redundant completely out of the blue, and we had to pull out. That was devastating too and I thought that we would never get over it. In the long run though he got work again - better paid work - and we ended up with a property which we actually preferred. Is it worth cutting your losses at this point and looking elsewhere? Either way, take my word for it that in a few years time five months will not seem anywhere near as long as it feels right now!

I am very sorry to hear your story. But keep trying without losing heart and you will succeed soon. Who knows you may find even a better place than this one. Nevertheless, you should try and see whether you can take some legal action against the EA.

I just wanted to say don't give up. We have reached sale agreed 4 times this year, and each time it fell through I can honestly say it was so hard and even harder to go on looking. And I completely know what you mean about the paperwork , I am at home with the little man at the moment and still found it so hard to do everything.
But four hours ago... we actually met our solicitor this time and signed the contract... all that remains is for the contract deposit to be drawn down from the bank..
So, I really want to wish you and your partner all the best, It is so so hard to stay positive, but the house we are hopefully ending up with was the best of them all.
(Wishing your partner well too)

Jaydee, I am really sorry to hear about your situation. We have gone sale agreed 4 in the last 9 months, paying 3 engineer's report, interest on deposit (as we are 100% FTB), etc etc. Don't even want to think about solicitor fees when everything is over! No matter what people say, it won't make you feel better, the pain doesn't go away, and I don't believe the house we are trying to get now is any better than the rest (similar, yeap, but not better). Just try to keep up, and don't get too happy if you find another property, the last time, we signed contracts on a tuesday, and the vendors pulled out on the wednesday!!! I thought it was a really bad joke from my bf when he called me to tell me!!
Hopefully it will all work out for all of us that are struggling trying to get into the damn property ladder!!!!
Best of luck to everybody.

Thanks guys! As I said, I hoped that we were an exception but sadly that is not the case. However, the words of encouragement are very very much appreciated.

Thanks again!:)

This is why the seller should be made commission an engineers or surveyors report which is available to every single prospective purchaser before they waste their time and energy on a live turkey.

The EA should not be allowed to 'sell' the property until the report is in their hands ....for FREE distribution to all and sundry.

As long as the engineers and surveyors and the EA's keep them brown envelopes flowing in the FF tent at the Galway races this will not happen .

Its a shameful waste of resources where each buyer has to do it ...so often for nothing :(

I note McDowell has no plans for emergency legislation in this respect either . I'll remember that when the next election comes up.

Back