Deposit account trawl announced today (Fri May 23rd) by revenue

F

Flush

Anybody know any detail on the deposit account trawl announced by the Rev Comms today.(Fri May 23rd)

I heard that you must declare all deposit accounts to the Rev Comms if the total exceeds €100K before September of this year.

If a PAYE taxpayer has been paying DIRT all along on these accounts what extra liability would be involved if the accounts had not been declared directly to the Rev Comms by now.

Are we just talking about a PRSI liability or is there some other "appalling vista" out there lurking in the wings.

Re: Deposit account trawl announced today by revenue

was wondering this myself to. have a few bob on depostit. dirt was always applied. did not think I had anymore exposure.

While DIRT would have been applied to interest earned, and while in recent years DIRT satsfied all Tax due on interest regardless of the marginal rate of tax of the taxpayer, PRSI/Levies may also have been payable. For self-assessed taxpayers this would have been captured on the annual Notice of Assessment. For PAYE taxpayers, Balancing Statements have never been set up to collect PRSI/Levies, only Tax. There may be issues there for some people. There may be issues also regarding the original capital if that was not from declared / taxed / non-taxable sources.

The presumption may be that you owe tax on the original lodgements, unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

DIRT is deducted by the banks on the govts behalf and is payable only on the interest paid, not on the balance in the account

I can only asume they are looking at high balances to see if the reason for the balance in the first place has and should have been declared to the taxman

ICAI Press Release

http://www.icai.ie/media/mr-mediareldetails.cfm?mediaid=510

ICAI reacts to new Revenue probe

[23 May 08]
(Friday, 23rd May 2008) The Revenue Commissioners has announced a new disclosure scheme relating to moneys held in Irish deposit accounts. Deposit holders are being given until 15 September next to declare any untaxed amounts which they had lodged in their deposit accounts. By so doing, Revenue will mitigate the tax penalties which can apply, and undertake not to publish the tax defaulters name. A disclosure will also mean that Revenue will not pursue the case for prosecution for tax evasion.

The new scheme is very similar to those which Revenue have operated in recent years for disclosure of untaxed money in Offshore Assets and Single Premium Insurance policies.

ICAI Director of Taxation Brian Keegan said “Revenue are focusing on untaxed money lodged in ordinary deposit accounts. They recently gained new powers to require the banks to provide the names and addresses of deposit holders. Revenue will be able to compare the information they already have from Returns of Income and the like with these bank details, to help them detect evasion. Before that happens, taxpayers are being given an opportunity to come forward”.

The initial focus of the Revenue investigation will be on deposits totalling more than €100,000. Mr Keegan however pointed out that from past experience of special investigations, Revenue could well revisit this amount in a second phase of the investigation.

“Tax evasion is unacceptable, and special investigations of this nature have an important part to play in eliminating evasion. However, there is always a cost to compliant taxpayers as they can unwittingly fall into the Revenue investigation criteria and become obliged to establish they have no tax issues. An example of this might be where a person has sold their house, deposited the money and a short time later spent it again on a new house. This could bring them within the scope of the investigation, as they would have had more than €100,000 on deposit.”

ICAI will work with Revenue on procedures to try to minimise the impact of the investigation on compliant taxpayers.

Contact Details
Contact Name :: Brian Keegan, ICAI Director of Taxation
Email Address :: [email protected]
Telephone :: +353 1 637 7347
Fax :: +353 1 668 0842

For PAYE taxpayers, Balancing Statements have never been set up to collect PRSI/Levies, only Tax. There may be issues there for some people.

But surely this is not the fault of the PAYE taxpayer, how were we supposed to know we had to pay a PRSI levy on our savings?? I mean the tax is automatically taken off interest paid, you would imagine the PRSI should have been as well.

The issue is whether the deposits are hot or funny money...the interest earned is not the what Revenue are concerned with.

The issue is whether the deposits are hot or funny money...the interest earned is not the what Revenue are concerned with.

I understand that but I don't get the issue re PRSI payment on the interest earned.

Is this do do with the new IT system I heard someone from revenue boasting about recently.
It supposedly analyses declared income vs property / vehicle / company ownership and flags cases where the capacity for the latter exceeds the former.
Is this the next step?

I understand that but I don't get the issue re PRSI payment on the interest earned.
As far as I know once you earn more than a certain amount in annual interest (c. €3,175?) then you may be liable for PRSI. DIRT (20% usually deducted as source) remains your total tax liability. At least that's my rough understanding so I am open to correction on the specific details.

Is this do do with the new IT system I heard someone from revenue boasting about recently.
It supposedly analyses declared income vs property / vehicle / company ownership and flags cases where the capacity for the latter exceeds the former.
Is this the next step?
There has been widespread coverage in the media and elsewhere of the new Revenue profiling system in recent months. Is the acronym "RACE" or something like that? I was thinking Revenue Account Profile Engine but that might be a bit offside...

Revenue press release is [broken link removed].
Taxpayers who had €100,000 or more in aggregate in these accounts (which included funds not previously declared for tax) at any time between 1 January 2005 and 31 December 2007 have until 15 September next to make a voluntary disclosure under an initiative announced by the Revenue Commissioners today (23/05/08).
So you only need to make a disclosure if you had more than €100K on deposit (in one or more accounts?) AND some of the funds on deposit were not previously declared for tax (i.e. hot money or cash in hand income)? Is that more or less it or is it more subtle than that...?

From the third paragraph

Revenue emphasise that the focus is on money which was undeclared for tax purposes and this current initiative will affect a relatively small number of taxpayers.

I notice it states ''banks, building societies and post-offices.'' I presume credit unions will also come under the umbrella. A recent thread here stated there are millions in credit union accounts exempt from DIRT.

A recent thread here stated there are millions in credit union accounts exempt from DIRT.

I don't think that savers in credit unions are exempt from DIRT, if they haven't arranged to get it deductd at source well then they should be declaring it at the end of tax year.

Yes, of course each individual exempt should be declaring it at the end of tax year, but do they? And if not are they now to come under the same scrutiny as banks, building societies and post-offices? My question is, do they come under this directive or are they exempt? They are not specifically mentioned. Could I refer to the recent ' Credit Union' thread and a comment by Kaplan '' to-day it is reckoned that billions sit un-taxed in accounts. Most of the money is not held by the over 65's and certainly not by the under 18's.'' If this is so, I would like to see these accounts investigated.

"and while in recent years DIRT satsfied all Tax due on interest regardless of the marginal rate of tax of the taxpayer,"

Is this correct even if you are on 41%

The Regulation can be found here

[broken link removed]

After you have read it you will be fit to read the Lisbon Treaty

The Regulation can be found here

[broken link removed]

After you have read it you will be fit to read the Lisbon Treaty

Thank you Reddevil - Now if you wouldn't mind synopsizing it please.:)

Back