Denied a full contributory pension because she had worked in the 50's

Where a married couple hold joint savings accounts is there any point in taking one name off the account and applying for the non contrib. pension?

I thought that all savings of a married couple were considered shared for the purposes of the means test and were approptioned 50:50 regardless of the names on accounts etc.?

so could you theoretically begin your working life at 61 , work for 5 years, pay contributions for 3 of them and then get the contributory pension at 66

Last edited by a moderator:
Sign - I presume you meant to say the contributory pension at age 65?

The non-contributory is based on a means test, not on PRSI contributions.
It is not paid until age 66.

oops yes I corrected it. Thanks CapitalCCC . I hope I explained what I mean, give or take a year or 2 around my example .

Can anyone answer my question

Ring Sligo I would imagine - I can't imagine there are too many people who have actually been in this situation!

I dont want to spend hours on hold for a question which doesnt affect me anyway thanks
I just wondered if that was the gist of what Brendan was saying earlier.

sign, a quick glance at welfare.ie gives the following:

To qualify for the state pension (contributory) - aka the old age contributory pension -

The first contribution must be paid before age 56 for persons born after 1/10/1922 and a person must have paid 260 full rate contributions if retirement is before 2012 (it rises to 520 after that date).

There are other ifs and ands and qualifying conditions, but I think the info above rules out your idea of a speedily-earned pension!

Brendan's anomaly does exist, in general the qualifying period for counting reckonable PRSI contributions begins on the date of first insurable employment.