Delays in rolling out vaccine

A reminder that the HSE vaccination portal is now open for people to register from age 40 upwards.
To reduce load on the system, 44 year olds are invited to register today, then 43 year olds tomorrow etc

OK well this is good news and not such good news. Obviously rollout of second doses sooner is a priority but supply and existing plans will be two issues that will need attention by the HSE.

However, we know that vaccines can be mixed , AZ first dose, Pfizer 2nd and are extremely efficient against the new variants. Add in the fact that we are to receive even more Pfizer vaccines, this week apparently, it might be time for a gap analysis to be carried out and perhaps identify those who need the second dose for those over 70, 60 and 50 and " close those age groups out".

(We receive about 182k Pfizer per week now and this might move to 220 to 250k , I haven't seen any indication of new qty in the public domain yet)

We should continue with vaccinations for any vulnerable people but perhaps re-look at the sub 45 rollout and maybe defer for a few weeks or slow down its quantity but keep registration open, but give an explanation of longer lead time and gather data for a more effective roll out for the sub 40s which is about 2m population.

My view is that once over 50s are fully vaccinated the new variants might just be less of a concern and we might just avoid another lockdown.?

Edit: no accurate data for last week on ecdc database. Not even amounts received.

Last edited:
I am aged 69. I am beginning to think that I am being used as a guinea pig to satisfy NPHET'S agenda.

Firstly, I had to take the AZ vaccine, no choice. Now I am told that I may get my second jab within 8 weeks of first jab. Why? Is it because NPHET now regret giving our age group the AZ vaccine that apparently only has a 30% efficacy against the Indian variant. Does AZ recommend 8 weeks between jabs? Have they done trials on this?

It is also being discussed that we may be offered the Pfizer vaccine in place of the AZ vaccine for our second jab. Again....have there been any trials done on this? Is it because two AZ vaccines apparently only have an efficacy of about 60% against the Indian variant. Did I hear Luke O'Neill say on the Pat Kenny show this morning that we may have more severe side effects if we mix AZ with Pfizer?

The rules seem to change according to vaccine supple rather than anything else.

I am aged 69. I am beginning to think that I am being used as a guinea pig to satisfy NPHET'S agenda.

Firstly, I had to take the AZ vaccine, no choice. Now I am told that I may get my second jab within 8 weeks of first jab. Why? Is it because NPHET now regret giving our age group the AZ vaccine that apparently only has a 30% efficacy against the Indian variant. Does AZ recommend 8 weeks between jabs? Have they done trials on this?

It is also being discussed that we may be offered the Pfizer vaccine in place of the AZ vaccine for our second jab. Again....have there been any trials done on this? Is it because two AZ vaccines apparently only have an efficacy of about 60% against the Indian variant. Did I hear Luke O'Neill say on the Pat Kenny show this morning that we may have more severe side effects if we mix AZ with Pfizer?

The rules seem to change according to vaccine supple rather than anything else.
If you read up this thread most of your questions are answered.

There is no fundamental changes in anything and it's certainly isn't a conspiracy of any kind. More data has been gleaned from the almost 2bn vaccines administered worldwide.

Any changes like 12 to 8 weeks, or Pfizer as a second dose do have science behind the decisions but I'm unsure if they are officially approved.

Last edited:
The Journal on UK hospitalisations for Delta variant

Of the 479 people who attended A&E in England between 1 February and 31 May and who were confirmed as having the Indian variant, 309 were unvaccinated while 18 had received both doses.
And of the 137 cases where attendance at A&E resulted in an overnight inpatient admission, 90 were unvaccinated while seven had received both doses.

The Journal on UK hospitalisations for Delta variant

Of the 479 people who attended A&E in England between 1 February and 31 May and who were confirmed as having the Indian variant, 309 were unvaccinated while 18 had received both doses.
And of the 137 cases where attendance at A&E resulted in an overnight inpatient admission, 90 were unvaccinated while seven had received both doses.

Hancock was pleading with people who were eligible for vaccines and did not take up the offer to do so for weeks and they even set up a bus as a vaccine centre in Bolton.

The other point is that it would appear the vaccines are protecting people but it also shows that even being vaccinated doesn't provide full protection and the usual good hygiene practices must be followed.

So like the Kent variant it was in the UK a long time before it was officially acknowledged or am I reading that incorrectly?

If the above is correct then would it be safe to assume that what we witnessed in India with huge daily infections was prevented due to the UKs vaccine rollout?

Sky news are reporting that the level of antibodies generated by Pfizers vaccine doesn't appear to be as high or effective against the Delta variant as it is against the other variants and the antibodies decrease over time. The article explains the impact of this.

The case for a booster is gaining traction.

Last edited:
So like the Kent variant it was in the UK a long time before it was officially acknowledged or am I reading that incorrectly?

If the above is correct then would it be safe to assume that what we witnessed in India with huge daily infections was prevented due to the UKs vaccine rollout?
I didn't pick up on that from first reading but now that you mention it that would suggest it was in circulation earlier than thought...
I wonder what our comparable stats for variants are.

I didn't pick up on that from first reading but now that you mention it that would suggest it was in circulation earlier than thought...
I wonder what our comparable stats for variants are.
Who knows there is no data of any meaning being released even to the ECDC.

I was reading in March about unknown variants one was dubiously called the "Yorkshire variant" and it was reported that Bolton, Blackburn were witnessing unusually high cases which were " under investigation " and of course it was attributed to the non white population and their fear of testing and taking the vaccines.

The UK government aren't happy if their plans are being scuppered and can be economical with the truth.

Both myself and my wife got our first AZ jab. I got mine first and two days later my wife got hers. We both had to queue for a couple of hours each time.

If they bring forward the second jab of AZ from 16 weeks to 12 weeks, we will be due to receive that later this month. Does anyone know if it is possible for a husband and wife to have their jabs together rather than days apart?

Both myself and my wife got our first AZ jab. I got mine first and two days later my wife got hers. We both had to queue for a couple of hours each time.

If they bring forward the second jab of AZ from 16 weeks to 12 weeks, we will be due to receive that later this month. Does anyone know if it is possible for a husband and wife to have their jabs together rather than days apart?
I've heard informally of people turning up together when the first person gets the appointment.
If you are registered in the system (which you would be) and bring ID they may accomodate you at the clinic.

Despite the hiccups and other extraneous events this is some achievement.

I think in late January I would have taken the elderly, HC workers, and the vulnerable to be covered by May. My hope that we might get a summer out of 2021 might still hold true, once we continue to practice good personal hygiene and be aware that the virus is still around.

Its been a long winter, weather included, but like my poly tunnel it's time to enjoy the fruits of our collective labours.

And while no one alone has achieved this people should be really proud and perhaps realise that when the chips are really down we achieved a lot together by pulling together.

Maybe there is a lesson there?

Got my first vaccine in the last week. I found the whole process very straight forward. No queue outside and about a 10 minute queue inside. The person administering the jab was very friendly and I was back in my car in no time. Hats off to whoever is running this!

Got my first vaccine in the last week. I found the whole process very straight forward. No queue outside and about a 10 minute queue inside. The person administering the jab was very friendly and I was back in my car in no time. Hats off to whoever is running this!
I hope mine goes as smoothly... just got an appointment for next week in Croke Park.
I have visions of it happening on the pitch with commentary by Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh... probably won't be like that in reality!

The HSE!

With a blank page they are well able to be efficient.

With unions and 60's work practices and crumbling infrastructure due to far too many facilities, it will always be playing catch up on everything else.

Got mine in Pfizer last week 45mins in total. I'll admit I was anxious with my health history but only a sore arm for a day.

Not quite sure what to make of this one but Meaghers Pharmacy say they will be running vaccinations of over 50s with single dose Jansen vaccine. Maybe one for those planning hols...

Not quite sure what to make of this one but Meaghers Pharmacy say they will be running vaccinations of over 50s with single dose Jansen vaccine. Maybe one for those planning hols...

Where are they getting supplies? The Government are saying we'll get 60k which we have , and there is little else apparently arriving.
We were meant to get 475k by the end of June.

Again, I'm only going by ECDC figures which are now 4 weeks old.....

Back