Delays in rolling out vaccine

There is going to be uncertainty and risks no matter what vaccination and or information a person receives . But I will be registering this week and will get the vaccine when my time comes. I am confidant the AZ vaccine is good enough.

Possibly others might follow

Norway likely to follow

Allowing people to choose their vaccine would introduce a raft of new logistical complications into the system and delay things further. The risk with any authorized covid vaccine is infinitesimally small. Seniors who keep moaning about this should feel a little bit less selfish and entitled and a bit more grateful for the sacrifices younger generations are making on their behalf.

I’m 47 and all my friends of this age in London have been vaccinated and both my parents have now had 2 jabs of AZ. They simply cannot understand what all the fuss is about and all the while the discussion about AZ goes around and around in circles the UK continues to open up and the people there are able to start making plans and are living their lives again.
It comes down to one simple thing, the tiny risk of side effects of taking AZ ( or any medicine ) versus the risk of Covid.
I will be following their example and would get AZ tomorrow if it meant speeding up the opening of Ireland.
We just need to get on with this as the alternative is worse.

I think I read that the AZ vaccine might not offer much protection to the South African variant of Covid? I am not so confident being forced to accept the AZ vaccine in the 60 to 69 age group or else go to the back of the queue as Leo V says.

It seems that the 60 to 69 age group are in the high risk category but will be given the lesser quality AZ vaccine or none at all for several months if you don't accept.

Last edited:
I was not impressed, again, with Stephen Donnelly on Prime Time last evening.

He had to be asked the same question three times by the presenter but just couldn't grasp what he was being asked.

"Why are the 60 to 69 year olds being told that they will have to go to the back of the queue if they won't accept the AstraZeneca vaccine even though they are considered to be in a high risk age bracket for Covid complications."

Last edited:
I won't be impressed if I take the old model AZ vaccine to discover that the new model will be on the road in the autumn with better protection against newer variants of Covid -19. It will be a bit like buying a new car only to discover that a new model version is to be released within a few weeks.

If Pfizer and Moderna are giving high rates of protection against B117 and P1 then why in God's name are older people, 60/69 being forced to take the AZ vaccine?

At this stage given the cohort I am in I am hoping by the time my turn comes it will be J&J so one dose 'fully vaccinated' for now, and then a Pfizer booster shot to come in the next phase.

So expect to hear this phrase in the coming months 'breakthrough infections' i.e. where vaccinated people were infected.

CDC, which has been tracking breakthrough cases since February, on Wednesday said roughly 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus have subsequently contracted the virus, with about 396—or 7%--requiring hospitalization and 74 people passing away. About 29% of the infections were asymptomatic.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the idea for AZ to be given to under 60s if the GP and patient agreed to it has been taken off the table.
What's the reason for that I wonder, surely it makes sense to let people make up their own minds at this stage? Maybe they think that if a lot of people take it up it will undermine niac and the government decisions. The whole theme throughout the pandemic has been to remove autonomy from the people and they are very reluctant to give any of it back. Also the level of secrecy around the decision making and why they are making certain decisions is worrying.

So expect to hear this phrase in the coming months 'breakthrough infections' i.e. where vaccinated people were infected.

CDC, which has been tracking breakthrough cases since February, on Wednesday said roughly 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus have subsequently contracted the virus, with about 396—or 7%--requiring hospitalization and 74 people passing away. About 29% of the infections were asymptomatic.

Yep and they continue to monitor.

I'm at loss as to why you simply reject one vaccine when it's really unknown what's causing the issues or what kind of people are more susceptible.
I would claim that the unknown would be reason enough to reject it - especially if one is younger and not in a covid risk group. No need to play guinea pig. Depends obviously on every ones appetite for risk etc.

Last edited:

How does that prove your point? If they're obliged to provide any treatment on demand why do so many travel abroad for services they refuse to cover? Vikki Phelan is only one of many cases where the HSE have refused to provide treatments.

Am hoping this will help with any AZ skepticism here in our over 60s.

Chancellor Angela Merkel will be vaccinated with the AstraZeneca coronavirus jab on Friday, German media outlets reported.

But also she has access to top hospitals and doctors if need to be. The average person living in Ireland won't have quick access to the BWK Koblenz or the Charite.
But yeah with 66 years she is definitely not in the risk group for the observed AZ side effects.

Edit: Here the proof that she received the vaccination
1618585934657.png

Last edited:
Back