Delays in rolling out vaccine

Difficult for private enterprises and the government to police that - and health data is still private data ;)
It's not like people not already meet without masks etc - even in some grocery shops it started to pick up with some staff and customers not using masks.
Also when herd immunity is reached that isn't an issue. It shouldn't be even one when the risk groups are all vaccinated.
Right, so open up once X cohort or X percentage of the population is vaccinated but there is a civic duty to get vaccinated. I know there are always those who can't for medical reasons and won't because they are stupid/paranoid/fell into an internet rabbit hole but those with the physical and intellectual capability to take it should do so.

No, but if they refuse to be vaccinated then they should be required to continue to wear a mask, socially distance, stay out of pubs and restaurants and generally remain in lockdown.
AFAIK in the U.K. proof of vaccination is or will be a requirement to go down pub

You had Ronan Glynn saying last night they could have picked a younger age but it was through an 'abundance of caution' that they chose 60. What does that mean? Why wasn't 65 chosen through an abundance of caution? Or the use of AZ paused completely? How much extra risk is France taking by giving it to 55-60 age cohort.
I think the decisions and why they make says more about the people making the decisions than the decisions themselves. Ronan glynn and the niac people are risk adverse technocrats , they don't want any fingers pointing back at them if someone gets a clot and dies from it. If 50 more people die of covid because of delays in rolling out the vaccines they won't be blamed that will just be down to the pandemic.
I think we have our over litigious legal system to blame for a lot of this and I actually don't blame the experts from being so afraid to take small risks. We need to allow people to weigh up themselves whether they want to take the vaccines once they are deemed very safe and sign disclaimers to remove all this litigation risk.

Right, so open up once X cohort or X percentage of the population is vaccinated but there is a civic duty to get vaccinated. I know there are always those who can't for medical reasons and won't because they are stupid/paranoid/fell into an internet rabbit hole but those with the physical and intellectual capability to take it should do so.
Also a "civic duty" is not to pollute the parks and streets etc but the reality is very different. "Civic duties" are nowadays very subjective.
It was put last year as a "civic duty" not to go on holidays... I disagree with that one for example.

Looks like about half of the French don't want it, 40% of the Germans - claiming that they are all stupid/paranoid/ fell into a rabbit hole is unhelpful, just insulting and not truthful.
Surveyed acceptance rate for Ireland was 75% which is pretty good and should be enough for herd immunity.
That survey was though before the issues with AstraZeneca and John & Johnson - but also the press coverage of these issues was much smaller in Ireland than in other European countries - difficult to gauge here if it has an effect.

Also a "civic duty" is not to pollute the parks and streets etc but the reality is very different. "Civic duties" are nowadays very subjective.
No, that's a civic duty too.
It was put last year as a "civic duty" not to go on holidays... I disagree with that one for example.
I don't.
Looks like about half of the French don't want it, 40% of the Germans - claiming that they are all stupid/paranoid/ fell into a rabbit hole is unhelpful, just insulting and not truthful.
I stand by my opinion.
Surveyed acceptance rate for Ireland was 75% which is pretty good and should be enough for herd immunity.
Maybe, probably.
That survey was though before the issues with AstraZeneca and John & Johnson - but also the press coverage of these issues was much smaller in Ireland than in other European countries - difficult to gauge here if it has an effect.
When emotion trumps the reality of statistical probability then people are being stupid.
You're more likely to die from a clot from flying but we'll still fly.

Wonder if this will be confirmed or not

Wonder if this will be confirmed or not
The EU are negotiating with Pfizer/BioNTech for 1.8bn doses for 2022/23. If that happens the EU won't need AZ or JJ.

I think the decisions and why they make says more about the people making the decisions than the decisions themselves. Ronan glynn and the niac people are risk adverse technocrats ,

I agree with you. After all, people have very short memories.

When you look to the U.K., they’ve had one of the highest Covid death tolls in the world.
But because their vaccine rollout is going well at the moment, people have forgotten about the 125,000+ deaths.
There are local elections next month and BoJo is ahead of his nearest rival by 10%.
Brexit is more popular in polls now than it every was.
The dead can’t vote, eh?!

NIAC is considering whether to extend the interval between the first and second Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine doses to increase the number of people who have some level of protection against Covid-19... Currently, there is a four-week gap between the first and second dose of the Pfizer vaccine in Ireland. But internationally, the gap is being extended between four and 12 weeks for Pfizer vaccines. This gives authorities time to roll out the vaccine to more people to give the some level of protection against Covid-19.

My father got his first Pfizer shot 2 weeks ago and was told at that time that his next shot would be 12 weeks away . It seems that Stephen Donnelly, today, is saying that this is how they will manage the shortcomings in the vaccine doses?

Seems like that idea has already been used so they'll have to rethink the plan

IRELAND IS SET to receive over 500,000 additional doses of the BioNtech/Pfizer vaccine over the next three months as part of a wider EU agreement. BioNTech/Pfizer is bringing forward delivery of 50 million doses to the second quarter, starting this month.

This is good news and should alleviate a lot of pressure on the rollout.
If I was a betting man I would say that Europe will probably stick with mRna vaccines and be able to secure supply. Curevac will add another boost

It's good news but we are potentially down 600k J&J doses between now and June. That is the equivalent of 1.2m mRna vaccines so we are still down roughly over 600k doses for Q2. And that ignores the issue with AZ. Of course, it would help if they could conveniently find that the J&J vaccine was suitable for the 50-60 year old's in the next few days.....

At this stage and considering they are looking at lengthening the gap between Pfizer vaccines and looking at mixing vaccines, it appears that they are going looking at Curevac at the end of Q2 or beginning Q3 as absolutely critical to saving the EU plans.

Apparently in the small print of the NIAC advice, it says that patients under 60 can discuss the vaccine with their GP and if the benefits outweigh the risks and the person has made an informed decision. i.e has consented knowing the risk then they can received AZ. Assuming GP has it...

And the HSE are only now seeking clarification? Surely that advice should have been front and centre during the big presentation they did! Happy days though. Think most people will be happy to discuss with their GP and take the vaccine. I know I would.

Back