Delay in closing - painted a house that isn't ours!

C

Conamara

Hi

We are buying a house and the sale was agreed in late July. We hoped to close on 8 September but the mortgage check had not come
through. It did on 11 September and the vendor was going back to her home country and gave us a key as we all assumed the sale would close in a day or so. The dealy was on her side- the engineer had not yet supplied a cert of compliance, although they carried out a survey weeks ago. Foolishly, we went ahead and had the house painted! Did not tell our solicitor. He is still waiting for cert and other papers from vendor's solicitor, who is waiting for the engineer's report. This engineer keeps promising to send it on, then to write it up and send it on etc. Starting to get worried now. Vendor is vigorously chasing him up. Could it be that the house is not compliant and engineer is stalling? If so, what happens? Both ourselves and the vendor are keen for it all to complete. Sorry for long message - any advice/ideas? (Yes I know it was stupid to get a house that isn't ours painted but we are optimistic folk.)

Is it possible for you to find out who the Engineer is?

If so, you could do what I did recently - the architect was holding up the sale of my property for weeks as he had to issue a cert of compliance and a cert of identity.

I went to his office and waited there until I could see him and got it on the spot. He explained that he was just very busy and 'whoever shouted loudest, or sat in his office waiting" ;), was attended to first.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way some of them work!

Thanks to delgirl and superman. As it happens, we didn't have to do anything. We got good news yesterday - the report is through and we are now the owners of (well pay the mortgage on) a gorgeous little house in Conamara! Happy days!

Back