Definition of second hand for stamp duty

C

Confused

I've recently put a deposit on a large new unfinished property...seeking confirmation on the stamp duty exemption from the estate agent. However, it now transpires that the builder had, for some reason, put this property in his own name at some stage (but never finished or lived in the property). This has now triggered a very significant stamp duty liability ....:mad:

Does anyone know the legal definition of 'second hand' property for tax purposes? i.e. does the property need to be occupied or just be registered in someone else's name?

Also - any advice on how to progress this problem? I can't see anyone purchasing this unfinished new house and paying €60K stamp duty?

All advice (and commiserations) welcome !

Confused :confused:

A property is second hand once someone has been registered on the deeds as owner , Irrespective if they have lived in it or not.

are you certain it was stamp duty exempt in the first place.. ie the floor area is less than 125sqm. ?

Please post in correct forum. Location, location, location is strictly for, ahem, location questions.

Back