Defective Keypad SE W580i

shesells

I bought a Sony Ericsson 580i earlier in the year and a couple of weeks ago I noticed cracks in the 1 and 4 keys. Today half of one of the keys broke off.

I rang the store where I bought the phone and they said to bring it in and they'll send it back for repair.

My issue is having googled the issue there is loads about the keypad in early 580is and SE have admitted they were defective. So why will they just not replace my phone? It doesn't seem right that I will theoretically be without a phone because of defective goods?

Not sure whether this suits you or not but I'd imagine they'll give you a replacement phone while your phone is on repair. Happened me before. May depend on whether you're on a contract or prepaid though.

Went in tonight and was totally frustrated. Should start by saying I rang SE support before I left work and they said that my basic consumer rights should entitle me to a fully functioning phone so the shop should replace the phone or refund what I paid for it.

The shop say they have to send it back and then it might be repaired or else replaced. They refuse to accept any responsibility for selling me a defective phone. To quote the guy "there is nothing wrong with your phone it is just broke!"

If I left it there was no guarantee I would get the same one back. Any replacement interim phone would cost me a deposit of €35 and I couldn't transfer my contacts to it. As my laptop died last month and ate my backup of my numbers I wasn't happy to do that but now don't know what to do!

Copy your numbers over to your SIM card and leave the phone in. They will replace the keypad only with a newer, stronger one. You'll be without it for a week or so but I'm sure you have an old one knocking about to do you in the meantime.

Took nearly 2 weeks, just got it back tonight and am furious. The phone's been wiped! Contacts I can replace but it's games, themes, ringtones and the likes that I paid for that are all gone!

I got one of these phones when they first came out in October and had the same problem. They said it was a batch problem and gave me my money back until I could get one from the newer batch in December. Despite them telling me the problem was sorted the same thing happened again. I was furious. I have had a lot of fights with 3g store and meteor over this phone. Eventually they replaced the phone with a Nokia 7373 in January. If you can demand a new phone I have to admit though it will be a battle. Also I know many people who have since got the phone and not one of them has a phone where the buttons havent cracked! :(

I had one of these phones with the exact same problem, brought it back to the shop and the staff member new about the fault and said that i could get a replacement brand new one. Seemingly Sony Ericsson are aware of the fault and are giving credit to the phone shops.

I love the phone so got another one due to the confidence of the sales person that I would not have any further issues and I haven't!!

The phone was three months old when they gave me a new one, pretty decent service I thought - it was an O2 Store.

Back