Health Insurance Declined travel insurance claim

Billybob

Hi. Was recently on holiday with my wife. She had been in hospital shortly beforehand, staying a few nights. Irish life covered this . She became sick again on holiday. We went to a hospital abroad. She got treated enough to enable her fly home. Subsequently stayed a few more nights in hospital in Ireland,same issue as previous which they finally got to determine, again covered by the health insurance.
The travel insurance, which is included in the health insurance but dealt with by Allianz, refuse to entertain a claim as ‘ she didn’t get a letter from the foreign hospital saying she needed to return home for treatment.’
Has anyone on here had a similar experience ?
Thanks

The travel insurance, which is included in the health insurance but dealt with by Allianz, refuse to entertain a claim as ‘ she didn’t get a letter from the foreign hospital saying she needed to return home for treatment.’
Can't you ask them for one now?

Not sure if they’ll do it after the fact but I suppose it won’t hurt to ask , thanks Clubman.

Many Travel Insurance policies have a helpline and it is a requirement to phone that BEFORE hospitalisation. This is to try to ensure as far as Insurer can, that they will not be taken for a ride. I would think if you did not abide by the conditions of the travel insurance policy, you will have a long battle.

Many Travel Insurance policies have a helpline and it is a requirement to phone that BEFORE hospitalisation
This really bugs me. So you're lying in the road, with a car on top of your legs, an ambulance arrives, and you have to be alert enough to say. "No, I need to phone my insurers first"?

This really bugs me. So you're lying in the road, with a car on top of your legs, an ambulance arrives, and you have to be alert enough to say. "No, I need to phone my insurers first"?
I remember watching a programme on TV about American health insurance about 15 years ago
And IIRC they automatically rejected at least 10% of all claims but your post reminded me of one poor guy
He was out climbing or hill walking when he had a heart attack so they had to call in a helicopter to get him to the hospital
He was operated on and made a full recovery but his whole (as far as I can remember) insurance claim was rejected because he didn't get pre authorisation for the helicopter ride to the hospital

Whilst waiting for ambulance, you are not hospitalised. Once you arrive in hospital or as soon as possible thereafter, you or a relative need to contact the insurer. USA and Lanzarote are well up there for medical insurance fraud. The helpline is there for a reason. In most cases, if you are taken to a public hospital, there is no problem, but some of the private hospitals will start with a skull X Ray, then brain scan and work their way down the body until the eventually confirm you have a broken toe!

I don't write the Policies, I'm only pointing out that you must abide by the terms and conditions.

Back