Declaring income= Form 12/Self employed?

J

jimmyf

Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise.

I left a job in July 2009.

I got work for the month of October and my employer asked that I invoice rather than register as an employee. I did so and received payment only on December 8th. My queries are:-

Do I have to register as self employed and pay tax on that basis. If so when is the taxable event, the work related to October 09 but the income was only received in December 09. I am worried that I have missed the tax deadline of October 31st 09.

Alternatively, if it is a case of filling out a form 12 then again when is the taxable event,the work related to October 09 but the income was only received in December 09. Do I have until October 31st of next year to file.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise.

I left a job in July 2009.

I got work for the month of October and my employer asked that I invoice rather than register as an employee. I did so and received payment only on December 8th. My queries are:-

Do I have to register as self employed and pay tax on that basis. If so when is the taxable event, the work related to October 09 but the income was only received in December 09. I am worried that I have missed the tax deadline of October 31st 09.

Alternatively, if it is a case of filling out a form 12 then again when is the taxable event,the work related to October 09 but the income was only received in December 09. Do I have until October 31st of next year to file.

Thanks in advance.

For 2009: The tax year is from 01/01/09 to 31/12/09 and return normally filed by 31/10/10.

In form 12- Can include all paye income and small self employed for the whole of 2009.(file by 31/10/10)

If continue to be self employed from 01/01/10- Better off to file tr1 for self employment.

Best situation would be to get employer to tax you as an employee for tax and social welfare purposes going forward

Thanks for your advice papervalue, cheers for clarifying, Ive left that employer now and am back with a regular employee going forward

Back