Deceased Tenant receiving Rent Allowance

Fergalmc

I have a tenant who passed away 6 weeks ago, the tenant was receiving Rent Allowance.
There is still Rent Allowance envelopes coming to the house and the tenant's family are collecting these.
Do I need to contact someone about this or is there a grace period where the family recieve these?

I would imagine rent allowance is only payable if the claimant is actually paying rent and so there would not be any grace period. I would call your local social welfare office.

How do you know the family aren't simply returning the cheques to social welfare? I'd say its noone else's business what post is arriving and is up to those dealing with the deceased 'estate' to sort out notifying the appropriate bodies about the death. Family might have other things on their mind right now...like grieving...

The tenants family may well be returning the cheques to Social Welfare, who have not stopped sending them. However, from your own point of view as landlord, I would just log a call or write a letter to Social Welfare ensure that you have advised them of the situation in case there is any comeback for yourself later.

I would imagine that if the family have notified the Social Welafare office then the cheques would have stopped coming? While it is no-one elses business what the family are doing and they probably are acting legitimately, the prevention of Social Welfare fraud is in everybody's best interests and I assume this is what the post was about in the first place....

Hi,
The question I am looking for an answer to is "Is there a grace period after a death were a family receives Rent Allowance" ?

I understand that the family are grieving and all that comes with that and are certainly acting legitimly and are entitled to the post..

Thanks all for your responses...

I would think that the claiment should at least be alive ??

you should really contact your local health board office as they pay rent allowance not social welfare. there is no "grace period" for rent allowance. dont tell the clients family about contacting the health board because there could be a prosecution if there family are cashing those chqs. which i say they are if the person is daed 6 weeks now.

Just give the health board a ring and let them know that the tenant is no longer with us and so not living at that address. To be honest you'd be doing the family a favour since if they didn't return the cheques they'd be done for fraud.

Contact the local Community Welfare Officer and suggest that he/she review the Rent Supplement in payment at that address.

Hi Fergalmc, Firstly, have the family any right to enter your house and secondly, have they any right to mail not addressed to them. Can you not write on the envelope "Addressee deceased"

Back