Debt Recovery -mistaken ID

Jano

Was mistaken by large, well known HP Company for person with same name who defaulted on car HPagreement, left 4+ K outstanding and left with no forwarding address. Private Eye found me in error and HP Co. threatened me with court, ruination of credit bureau etc. Also admitted that a 1st was sent to me which I didn't get - presume neighbours read it and think the worst... Have I a case?

Case for what? Defamation? Harrassment? Or is that the question, i.e. what action can you take against the HP company?

You may want to check out your rights as outlined by the [broken link removed].

Other than that, I'm not sure what other sources that I can point out, doesn't seem to have anything on the subject.

• You should make a formal written complaint to the company in question.
  • You could also make a complaint to the Director of Consumer Affairs or IFSRA, both of whom have responsibilities in the regulation of consumer credit
  • You might also be able to complain to the Gardai that a private detective has been harassing you-I don't think that these guys are regulated.
  • Have you checked with the ICB whether or not your credit record has been affected?
  • You may wish to seek legal advice as to what can be done next.

HP Company wont divulge the source of the misinformation, so I can't put the source straight/see what else they hold on record that might affect me/find out if I was/am being "watched". Have been at home, minding my own business, paying my debts on time etc and am out of pocket for legal fees to pay solicitor to write letters to them and for advice etc which I should not have needed to incur. Having demanded that I send them my photo id etc etc to get myself "eliminated from their enquiries", they finally agreed as a result of the solicitor's intervention that I am not their customer. IFSRA wont take a complaint from me as I am "not a customer" of the HP company. I will take your advice re Data Prot Comm - thanks.

Under the [broken link removed], you have the right to get any errors on your records (e.g. credit bureau record) corrected. See page 28. Make the request for a correction in writing and the person who holds the data ('data controller') has to fix it within 40 days.

Back