Debt collection threats from DLR Co Council

rachel43

Hi, I am new to askaboutmoney so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a debt with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council for the amount of €1500 for bin collections between 2000 and 2007.

I was in receipt of one parent family payment and not working in the years 2000 - 2004 and I completed waiver forms at that time. In 2004 I started part time employment. In 2005 I received a bill for the full amount. I questioned why they had not processed the waivers, they told me that they hadn't gotten around to processing all of the waivers at that time. I made a payment of €175.00 and I told them that I would come to an arrangement with them to pay them once they got their accounts in order.

I heard nothing until 2008 when again I asked why the waivers weren't processed.

They told me that they had no knowledge of any waivers and asked me to send in p60's from the year 2000 - 2004 which I didn't have. Again I signed waiver forms and tried to come to an arrangement to pay off what I owed by requesting payment instructions to their account and paying the first instalment of 425 by cheque. They never sent me their details.

I was contacted again this August and told that if I didn't pay my debt would be passed on to a collection agency. I contacted them and asked them about the waivers they said they would send me out new forms, I also agreed that I would pay €5 euro per week by standing order and they were to send those form also.

I received the waiver form but not the SO forms.

The new waiver form that they sent to me stated that it was for waiver applications from 2004 onward, as far as I am aware the conditions for waiver had changed for that period as had the bin charges. I queried this and was told to just sign them. I did sign but for one reason and another I didn't post them.

I have received a letter from Intrum Justitia threatening legal proceedings.

I contacted them and told them that I am only in a position to pay €5 euro per week and they said that is not enough and want proof of my means.
I have now sent the waiver forms in to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co and followed it with a call to ask when they will be processed and my account updated. I was told that they couldn't answer that and that they had no idea.

My question is do I have to provide this debt collection agency with proof of my partners means? I don't really feel comfortable sending my mortgage account statements or payslips to a debt collection agency either, but I will. The debt is in my name only as is the mortgage which I just manage to cover with my training allowance. Thankfully it is small, and I am fully supported by my partner.

I was made redundant in 2010 and am in college as a full time student on a training allowance from the VEC. My partner doesn't earn much and we have 2 young kids to support also.

Any advice would be appreciated and sorry about the long winded post.

Back