Deadline to apply for 2005 PRSI refund??

C

cdn_tocino

Hi, I have searched and tried to find the answer to this all over the web and can't seem to come up with a definitive answer. I worked in Ireland from Feb 2005 to Feb 2006 and would like to see if I am due any refund of my PRSI however I keep coming up with different deadlines. Some places say you can claim as far back as 2003 and others say only til 2006. I'm super confused anyway when if comes to the PRSI refund so whether or not I can even do it in the first place is adding to the confusion!!

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Charlene

What makes you think you are entitled to a PRSI refund?

The deadline for a tax refund for 2005 has already passed. You have until 31/12/2010 to submit a claim for any 2006 tax refund.

Feb to Dec 2005 is one tax year, Jan & Feb 2006 is a different tax year.

I understand the deadline for a tax refund and understand the Irish tax year is from Jan to December so that is not what I am enquiring about. I would just like some info about what deadlines there are for making an application for the PRSI refund.

I'm basing it on the fact that I'm a non-EU national where we are sometimes exempt from paying so that's why I'd like to find out if there's still time to apply for the PRSI refund and that's really all I want to know nothing more, nothing less. Anyone out there who may know the deadline to apply for a 2005 PRSI refund, I would appreciate it the info!!

The OP could be due a PRSI refund under either of two categories:
1) Exemption from PRSI Liability
Persons issued with E101 certificates as migrant workers within the EU or non- EU nationals on temporary assignment to Ireland may be exempt from paying PRSI contributions.

Or

2) Earnings thresholds & Ceilings for PRSI Liability
Seeing as she only worked for two months in 2006, she might or might not be entitled to a refund as her earnings would more than likely have been below the income threshold for that year.

Charlene: There is no time limit for applying for such a refund. I recently had occasion to query my PRSI contributions going as far back as 1999 & my application is currently ''in the system''.

The only problem you might run up against is that due to current industrial action I think that claims going back further than the previous tax year are not being dealt with, as I was advised in December to get my claim in before the end of the year, which I did, as the work to rule came into affect on Jan 1st 2010. For current claims there is a significant backlog anyway – I think it’s in the region of 10 months.

For a definitive answer I suggest that you contact:
PRSI Refunds Section,
Department of Social and Family Affairs,
Oisin House,
212-213 Pearse Street,
Dublin 2.

Tel: +353 1 6732586
Fax: +353 1 6732460

Again, due to current industrial action there may be some delay in your call being answered, so keep trying. The best time to get an answer would probably be between 9.30 am – 10.15am & 2.30pm – 3.15pm.

Oh wow, thank you so much for your informative reply. I'm not too concerned about how long it will take as long as I can still try and see if I can get anything back so that's really reassuring!!! I will definitely get in touch with that department and see what my next step is then. Thank you again!!

Charlene

I rang the PRSI Refunds section today who told me that since the 1/01/2010 they are only permitted to allow refunds for up to a maximum of four years.

Back