DBS in Smurfit.

A

Aingeal

Hello everyone,

I am currently in my final year of college doing a law degree. I don’t want to pursue a career in law after college and was thinking of doing a postgrad in business. I was always good at and interested in business subjects in school and should have actually done that in college. Anyway, I am thinking of applying for the DBS (Diploma in Business Studies) in Smurfit College but would like to know what my job prospects would be and if this is a good degree to do. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a few friends who did this but I don't see how it helped them...that's being honest...the people who went straight into employment have as good or better jobs...

I'd recommend working for a year and seeing how you get on...

Then you could still do the HDip after or a Masters or something like that.

Remember that often you'll have to do professional exams after the HDip that can take another few years to complete...employers will usually pay for these.

Also if you worked for a year and were over 23 on the first of January that you started the course you could apply for a grant to do the HDip that would cover some of the fees. You have to take a years break to be considered a mature independent student...without the break you'll be considered the same as what you started off...dependent on your parents and their income and not yours will be taken into account when applying for the job. You'd have to be living away from home to do this but there are ways around this.

I worked for a year and then did a very specific Msc funded by a grant...I'd recommend a year's break from studying to anyone. Cost me €10K or so to live for the year and I'm still paying for this but it will be worth it in the long term. The people who came straight into the MSc were just after completing their undergrad were tired from studying. The MSc was tough going.

Your Law degree is a good degree already. Why do you need the HDip to get a business job? Apply to some of the graduate programs and see how you get on and check out gradireland.com.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

I did it 8 years ago and found it very good, although I have to say that I never used it as I left the country as soon as I finished and didn`t come back for 7 years, . However, the combination of a law degree plus a postgrad in Business is not to be sneezed at... no harm in you doing it if pure Law is not what you want to do.
You have to get a minimum of a 2.1 to apply (or at least you did..)

You'd be much better off taking the year out and going travelling. The DBS course really isn't worth a lot to someone with a Law / Science degree. It might be of some use if you were starting off with a less practical degree, such as liberal arts.

Could be an expensive waste of time for you

Back