Daughters Medical Bill

Mr Blond

My daughter who is 5 was in hospital for a week or so at the start of this year,I got a bill for 500 euro last week.Can I claim this back...?if so how can I go about it.

Thanks.

can you claim it back from whom?

If you have health insurance, check the terms of your policy.

If you don't (or the health insurance doesn't cover all of the costs), you can claim tax relief, at the end of the year, using the form Med1. You will get back either 20% or 41% (depending on your tax rate) of the unreimbursed costs.

Do you have any private health insurance? If so then see if you can claim anything back on this first. Thereafter you may be able to claim [broken link removed] on this (less any reimbursements from private health insurance etc. if applicable) and any other qualifying medical expenses arising in 2008 but only at the end of the tax year.

Post crossed with Nige's.

No private insurance unfortunately,I do have a Hospital Saturday Fund policy but she is not covered on this as we took out the policy when my wife was pregnant on this child,its a bit of a joke I appealed it and they said we would have to started the policy before the wife got pregnant.

Looks like I will try the Tax Relief claim option.

No private insurance unfortunately,I do have a Hospital Saturday Fund policy but she is not covered on this as we took out the policy when my wife was pregnant on this child,its a bit of a joke I appealed it and they said we would have to started the policy before the wife got pregnant.
Probably not a joke. Probably explicitly covered in the terms & conditions of the policy. If you suspect not then make a complaint and take it all the way to the [broken link removed] if necessary. But I doubt that you have grounds for such a complaint to be honest.

Probably not a joke. Probably explicitly covered in the terms & conditions of the policy. If you suspect not then make a complaint and take it all the way to the [broken link removed] if necessary. But I doubt that you have grounds for such a complaint to be honest.

I can see there point but the problem was not discovered (hole on the hart) on till she was 2.I was hoping she was covered as we had the policy when she was born.

You need to look at the definitions of "pre-existing condition", "waiting period" etc. in the policy terms & conditions/booklet. I'd imagine that they are correct here but if you don't believe so then query the decision, complain about it (in writing) and take it to the FSO if necessary.

Back