Data Roaming Uk

Breadman

Hi I'm not sure if this is where I post this question! I was in the UK for a day before Christmas transitting for a flight, I hadn't realised the data roaming charges had changed and kept my mobile data on! When I looked at my bill yesterday the charges were €187 for the day, is there anyway our of this or just take it on the chin? I am with three Ireland on a monthly bill but not in a fixed contract.

Not sure what the answer is but I do remember reading somewhere that all Irish providers wouldn't be reintroducing roaming charges for Irish customers traveling to the UK

They said in 2019 they would not reintroduce roaming charges for Irish customers. Also posted on their site here.

What plan are you on? You can check the charge sheet here.

So basically what they are saying is that it wasn't from the day I was in the UK i was charged on the 10 hour flight I took after that, I've argued with them that my phone was on flight mode and they said it must not if been!!

So basically what they are saying is that it wasn't from the day I was in the UK i was charged on the 10 hour flight I took after that, I've argued with them that my phone was on flight mode and they said it must not if been!!
They'll know exactly what network you were on, so they're unlikely to be making that up. You could ask for a detailed breakdown of the usage.

What airline was it?

They'll know exactly what network you were on, so they're unlikely to be making that up. You could ask for a detailed breakdown of the usage.

What airline was it?
I asked for a breakdown and this was their reply, I was flying London to Grand Cayman.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120_164555.jpg
    Screenshot_20220120_164555.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 259
Are the local Cayman Islands' networks MVNO virtual operators on US physical networks by any chance?

The flight was London-Cayman with an hour stopover in the bahamas where you stay on the plane but don't leave, unless it connected to a network there?

You seemed to imply originally that you had your phone on airplane mode all the time in transit (and in the Caymans?) but I suspect that that's not actually the case?

Three charge .... wait for it...€6.15 per MB for USA roaming.
One internet page would use €187.
They charge a frankly astonishing €16.99 in the Cayman Islands.A 10 minute YouTube video would cost €750!!!!!

Did you get the text about a data roaming cap?

I have had to visit UK in past year many times and am pleasantly surprised that my phone acts as if it is in Ireland so no extras for data usage or phonecalls but there was a charge for a text message I think. I am on GoMo. I had heard that with Brexit this was going to stop.

I have had to visit UK in past year many times and am pleasantly surprised that my phone acts as if it is in Ireland so no extras for data usage or phonecalls but there was a charge for a text message I think. I am on GoMo. I had heard that with Brexit this was going to stop.
All Irish providers have confirmed they will not apply roaming charges to customers travelling to the UK.

All Irish providers have confirmed they will not apply roaming charges to customers travelling to the UK.
I went to the UK last year and can confirm this is the case. I can also confirm that my bandwidth was choked to the extent that I was unable to send a Whatsapp text message for 3 entire days.

Reactions: Leo
I can also confirm that my bandwidth was choked to the extent that I was unable to send a Whatsapp text message for 3 entire days.
That's mad!! Just wait for your provider to offer an add-on now for decent bandwidth.

I went to the UK last year and can confirm this is the case. I can also confirm that my bandwidth was choked to the extent that I was unable to send a Whatsapp text message for 3 entire days.
What Irish carrier were you with?

Back