Damp on the inside of patio doors

C

cullenswood

Hi,

We have double patio doors to the back of our house, coming from the kitchen/dining room area, to the garden. I have noticed black damp patches where the doors meet the wall.

Why would this be happening and what could be done about it. We are only in the house 2 1/2 months, and it is a new house, so should we go back to the builder and get him to sort it, or is there an easy solution

Is there any problem with the guttering over the doors?

Do you mean the guttering on the roof?? If so I hadn't noticed that there was.

The door itself can be quite wet too, with drops of water on the inside?

Are they double glazed? If there is moisture on the inside pane, or worse still, between the panes then the double glazing is not working as the seal is broken. If this is the case then perhaps this is a contributory factor?

They are double glazed. Didn't notice that there was water in between the windows though. How would i go about fixing it, or should I go back to the builder?

If the problem is that the double glazing seal is broken then you'll probably need to talk to the builder or get a professional to have a look at it. Most (all?) double glazing should have a vacuum air seal between the panes of glass and if this is compromised then the unit may need to be replaced.

If the seal is gone you will most likely not be able to see out because the panes get 'steamed up' just like the bus windows on a wet day. This has happened to a few of ours but they are very old. See or www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.htm

"The door itself can be quite wet too, with drops of water on the inside?"

This is probably happening because you have the heating on at this time of year and it is IMHO normal enough.

If the house does not get enough ventilation (at least 1 hours fresh air per day) you can get black mould/damp patches but this would normally happen over quite a while and not 2.5 months (?).

Under the circumstances sounds like a chat with the buildier is definitely required.

Back