Damp in wall

Cmg4489

We have recently bought a house a 1940’s cottage, in one of the rooms (which is an extension onto main original part) it had a suspended wooden floor which was damp and rotten which has since been replaced with dpc insulation and screed. There was a leaking pipe for rad underneath the floor which was replaced with pex piping. There was yellowing on a solid wall in the room which was painted last week but the wall appears to be damp from the bottom up to about 800mm in places. The wall in question is original stone wall, with plaster on it. This wall contains the chimney stack. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to remedy the damp. I’ve done the usual and checked drains etc

This wall contains the chimney stack. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to remedy the damp. I’ve done the usual and checked drains etc

Inspect the chimney, flashing, roof, gutters and walls above this area. The vast majority of damp on lower parts of walls is due to water entering the fabric of the building somewhere above that point.

We have a similar problem and require chimney to be repointed to solve problem but are struggling to find someone to do it. Would anyone have any recommendations of someone or where to find someone in the Dublin area that might do this sort of work?

We have a similar problem and require chimney to be repointed to solve problem but are struggling to find someone to do it. Would anyone have any recommendations of someone or where to find someone in the Dublin area that might do this sort of work?
Did you try tradesmen.ie? I’ve had great success using it for all sorts of jobs.

I'm no expert but I often wonder where all the rains goes down the chimney, I quickly fills up a open bucket outside. would a chinese hat on the chimney help?

Back